Mistake ~ Max Verstappen

Pov
I knew when I saw the pictures, that it was over. He had found somebody new, but that didn't mean he had to kiss her while we were still together. I never did feel good about myself and he knew that. People told me from the start, to stay away from him. They said: "He'll break your heart." But I guess I had a little hope. Just a little hope, that when he said those 3 words he meant them. A little hope that, when he kissed me his heart fluttered just like mine. But now all I wonder is, was it all a mistake? Or was I the mistake? His mistake. I guess that was it. With tears in my eyes I started packing my bags. I grabbed a pen and a paper and wrote a letter. I put it on the table and walked out, taking one last glance at the house, that was starting to feel like home.

Max Pov
I came home after a long day of work. Crazy fans showed up at my gym and one them even jumped me, which was completely inappropriate. "Babe? I'm home!" I yelled, but got no response. I walked upstairs but none of her stuff was there and neither was she. I ran downstairs and a piece off paper caught my eye. I picked it up as my eyes flew over the words.

Dear Maxie,
I hope that girl gives you the whole world, in a way that I apparently never could. You knew how bad I felt about myself... I'm going back home, tho it's sad because I thought that was here. I love you, so much, but my instinct always told me the feeling of love wasn't returned. I guess my instincts were right this time. I wish you all the best Max, cause that's what you deserve. I'm sorry I had to be your mistake for so long.
Love, yours truly

Tears welled up in my eyes as I felt the box sitting in my pocket. Anger came over me, as I started throwing stuff around. I raged and eventually broke down sliding down against the wall. I was angry, angry at the fan that jumped me, angry at myself for not showing my love enough. I grabbed the box and opened it. I looked at the shiny diamond, throwing it across the room. The doorbell went and I walked to the door. I opened up and Charles, my neighbor and a very close friend of mine, was standing there. "I heard a lot of noice... O my god Max, what happened?!" He looked inside at the mess I made. I looked at him and my lip started trembling. He immediately hugged me as I started crying again.

Charles Pov
We sat down on the couch as I grabbed him a glass of water. I gave it to him as he slowly calmed down. "Can you tell me what happened?" I looked at him as he handed me a piece of paper. I read over it and my eyes grew wide. "I- a fan jumped me... the paparazzi got it on camera- Charles I-." He struggled with talking. I looked around at the room as a black velvet box caught my eye. I picked it up and opened it, there was a shiny ring in it. "O my god... you were going to propose."

I talked with Max a little longer, until he fell asleep. I put a blanket over him and cleaned up the mess a bit. Then I walked back to my own apartment and send him a quick text that I had to take care of something and wouldn't be home for the upcoming 2 days. I opened my computer and booked a ticket to England. I grabbed some of my stuff and a few hours later I was sitting on a plane. It landed and I knew exactly where to go, since I knew the adress by heart. I rang the doorbel and it was opened by her.

"Charles, what are you doing in England?" She looked confused, but she also looked broken. "I had to come and get you. I'm here to explain." I walked inside and we sat down on her mom's couch. "Why are you explaining, it wasn't your fault?" I looked at her and started talking. "Look, first of all, you should never believe the paparazzi. They have a way of showing things. they made that kiss look real, but it isn't true. The photo you saw, it was a fan who jumped him. Max is devastated. He's a wreck. I found him in his apartment, everything was a mess and glasses were shattered. I know that deep down you know damn well that he loves you. Now I have 2 plane tickets for tomorrow. You can come with me and live a good life with Max, or you could stay here and you can both drown in misery. Your choice." She looked at me speechless.

"Charles... there's another reason I left..." she looked down at her hands. I gave her a nod encouraging her to go on. "Max always talked about how hard all the drivers had it with their kids. And I just think that he doesn't deserve to have it that hard." My eyes widened. "Are you-?" She nodded softly. "How far along are you?" She looked up. "About 6 weeks." I took her hands, as a friendly gesture. "Let me tell you something. Max loves kids. He always tells me how he would love to start a family with you. He is not going to hate you. He'll be thrilled, believe me. So will you come with me?" I looked at her hopeful. "Fine, okay."

Pov
The next morning we got on the plane and landed back in Monaco. I was nervous and felt so guilty. When we arrived at the apartment complex Charles headed of to his own apartment. I slowly opened the door. I heard him shout from the kitchen. "Who is it? If you are an intruder please do shoot me, cause I got nothing left." I got tears in my eyes as I closed the door. I walked to the kitchen and looked at him. "I'm not going to shoot you Maxie." He jumped and looked at me. Now that I had a clear look at him I saw how shitty he looked and guilt crept up in me. "Y-you're h-here." He started crying immediately as I dropped my bags and went over to hug him.

He hid his face in my neck and sobbed loudly. I rubbed his back and kissed the top of his head. "Shhh, it's okay. I'm so sorry." I led him to the bed room, where I laid down and let him snuggle into me. "Charles came to visit me in England. He bought me a plane ticket and explained everything. I should've waited for you Max I'm so so sorry." Tears welled up in my eyes as he looked up at me. "No, i-it's okay. I w-would've done the same." His voice was still shaking as I tried to calm him down. "Max there was another reason I left..." I looked down.

He brought my chin up to look at him. I looked into his blue eyes and my fear disappeared. "Max. I'm pregnant. And I thought you would hate me, because you were always talking about how hard all the drivers had it with their kids." He looked at me with wide eyes. "You're not joking right?" He had tears in his eyes, but this time they were happy tears. I bit my lip shaking my head. He cupped my cheeks and kissed me deeply. "I love you so freaking much. So much. Please don't ever think otherwise." He put his hands on my stomach and I smiled at him. He walked out of the room and I sat up in confusion.

He came back and sat down in front of me. "I had planned this way more romantic, but I need you to believe me when I say that I love you more then anything. You are my happy place and I wouldn't know what to do without you. I thought I lost you and it was terrifying. So will you please believe me when I say that I poured all my love into this ring and I hope you'll wear it and become my fiancé. Will you please marry me?" I looked up at him. "I believe you." His eyes widened. "Is that a yes? Please tell me that's a yes, cause I-." She cut me off by kissing me. "Ofcourse I'll marry you dummy." I kissed him deeply as he put the ring on my finger.