Ceremony

Tarik, Lishay and Dorian all stood in front of the Greencloaks in their ceremonial armour. Olvan and his moose were at the altar, looking down at them. Today was the day that they would become warriors.

Tarik wished that Ricko could be here too. He felt a pang of sorrow in his chest. Lishay nudged him, snapping him out of his thoughts. He couldn't think about Ricko now, this was the day he had longed for.

Lumeo, Zhosur and Dorian's owl all stood in front of their partners. Tarik looked at the otter, and Lumeo returned his gaze with a cheeky expression.

"Greencloaks," Olvan's voice boomed in the Great Hall. "Today, we promote three recruits to warriors of Greenhaven."

The Greencloaks all cheered. The sound made Tarik shiver with excitement.

Once the crowd fell silent, Olvan continued. "These three recruits have completed their training with excellence. You all fought well in the battle against Lynk, but I am afraid this isn't your last."

Tarik saw Dorian gulp.

"But before I go on, I would like to ask Chinwe to step forward and join these three at the front," Olvan billowed.

Tarik heard whispers of uncertainty from the other Greencloaks. Chinwe had been Lynk's recruit, were they suspicious of her now?

"Chinwe, you have proved your loyalty to the Greencloaks. It is time you too, became a Greencloak warrior," Olvan said, loud enough for everyone to hear.

Chinwe's eyes were wide with happiness. "Thank you."

Tarik couldn't help but also feel happy for her.

Olvan then looked down and read the vowels. "Now, repeat after me: I will put my loyalty to the Greencloaks before anyone else."

"I will put my loyalty to the Greencloaks before anyone else," the four children said all together.

"I will always be available to carry out Greencloak duties elsewhere, even if it is a last minute call," Olvan read.

They all repeated.

"I will stand to protect Erdas, even at the cost of my life."

As Tarik said the final sentence, he was once again reminded of Ricko. He clenched his fists, he would get revenge one day.

Olvan smiled widely. "Let us all congratulate our new warriors!"

A round of applause and cheering broke through the crowd. Tarik turned to his friends, smiling wide.

"We did it!" Lishay said excitedly. "We are officially warriors!"

"I couldn't have asked for a better team," said Dorian.

The four Greencloaks all hugged and continued to smile and laugh.

"A feast will be held in the dining hall, please join us!" Olvan announced.

Tarik looked up at Olvan and saw him making his way towards them.

"Will you all come to the feast?" the great commander asked.

"Of course!" answered Lishay.

"I'll be there," said Dorian.

Chinwe nodded, still speechless that she was made a warrior.

"Olvan, I actually wanted to talk-" Tarik was cut off.

"I know what you'll ask me, and I hate to say it but I cannot answer it until the time is right," Olvan said carefully.

Tarik stared at Olvan in disbelief. He said that he'd tell him what Lynk wanted from him!

"Besides," Olvan folded his arms. "It's a question for Lenori, not me."