Tree Bark

"It's so hot!" Dorian complained as droplets of sweat ran down his forehead.
"Welcome to Amaya," Ricko said to the recruit, moving his way passed him.
It had only been an hour since they arrived in Amaya. Tarik had noticed Dorian's skin turn bright red, as if he was sunburnt. The Euran boy looked exhausted from the long journey and Tarik truly felt pity for him.
"How much food do you have?" Lishay asked Tarik quietly.
Tarik reached into his pocket and pulled out a bag of brown pieces of meat.
"Jerky? I heard that that stuff dehydrates you," Lishay grabbed the jerky out of Tarik's hands.
"But it's all I have," Tarik muttered.
Lishay shoved the bag into her own pocket. Tarik stared at her in disappointment.
"What?" Lishay began. "I don't want you to faint!"
"Lishay! Tarik!" Ricko called from afar.
"We're coming!" Lishay grabbed Tarik's hand tightly and pulled him towards their mentor. Dorian was standing next to him.
"I can walk!" Tarik spat.
"I know, you're just slow," Lishay teased with a spark of humour in her eyes.
Tarik groaned. All he wanted to do was sleep. When will this journey end?

Ricko was leading the group down a rocky path. The lush forest was a beautiful scenery for the Greencloaks to admire. At times, Tarik would touch his chest, remembering that Lumeo was still there. Next to him, Lishay would giggle at Dorian, who was tripping over small stones and his own feet.
"Come on, this is serious. We can't waste any more time for fun and games," Ricko eyed them all closely as they all paused for a short break. "Get out your food and eat."
Tarik looked at Lishay, who had taken his jerky earlier.
Lishay fished out the bag and handed it to Tarik. "Only if you give me some."
"You have your own food," Tarik said stubbornly.
"Lishay, you can have my apple," Dorian offered.
"Thanks!" Lishay happily took Dorian's apple and bit into it.
Tarik reached into the bag of jerky and sniffed it. It smelled like wood. He shrugged and took a bite.
"Mmf!" Tarik pulled away from the jerky.
Everyone paused to look at him.
"What? What's wrong?" Ricko asked.
"Tastes funny, but it's fine," Tarik continued to eat the jerky, making loud crunching noises every bite he took.

After a few minutes the Greencloaks had started to move again. Tarik had not eaten much of his jerky due to the hardness, so he had permission to eat as they walked.
"Let me try," Lishay said, holding out her hand.
Tarik reached into his bag to pull out a small piece of jerky to give to Lishay. She bit into it, but not fully.
"I don't think this is jerky, Tarik," she said.
"What do you mean? Of course it's jerky! What else could it be?" Tarik challenged her.
"Tree bark," Lishay snorted.
Tarik paused.
It made sense, the 'jerky' looked unnatural and it certainly did not taste like dried meat. Tarik gagged, struggling to push the thought away on how he ate tree bark.
"I think Ricko is trying to kill you!" Lishay joked.
That's not funny...
Tarik winced at her, then turned his gaze to Ricko who was having a conversation with Dorian as they walked.
"You do realise I'm kidding, right?" Lishay asked.
"Yes," he managed to say.

I feel so stupid in front of Lishay...
I must of left the real jerky behind somewhere else...
What kind of guy eats tree bark?