Left Behind

It had felt like years since Tarik had been in his cell. He was surprised that he had not seen Lynk for a while. Where was the cruel man now? Was he in Greenhaven Castle? Or somewhere else? Tarik lay back down on the stone floor and closed his eyes, wishing that this horrible day would end.

"We need to escape," Hanzan whispered.
"Escape? How? We don't even have a key. Tellun only knows where we are," Nara glared at the boy.

Hanzan had woken up a few hours ago. He was from Zhong, and was captured not far from where this "prison" was. Hanzan said he was out exploring with his black tiger spirit animal, Zhamin, and had travelled too far from his village. It was possible that where Tarik was was located somewhere in Zhong.

"I want to escape and I think we should," Tarik sat up. "I just don't know how we are going to get out of these cells and run passed the guards without being seen. Nara, do you know the way out?"

"Just because I have been here long before any of you doesn't mean I know the way out. People have died here in the same cells we are in. We may possibly even be sitting on a dead person," Nara shivered.

"But there are no bodies," Hanzan said.

"That's because they only take the body out when a living person is in a cell, so when a guard comes in they don't smell the stench. Trust me, I've seen it," Nara lowered her head.

"Why are we talking about dead bodies? Can we please just figure out an escape plan? I have a life to live and the more time I stay here the more time I waste," Tarik frowned. "Are you sure you don't know where the key is?"

"Well," Nara began, "I thought I did see a gold key around an animal's neck."

"So a guard's spirit animal is wearing the key?" Tarik questioned, an eyebrow raised.

"Yes," Nara replied.

"That's just perfect," Hanzan pulled on the door of his cell, causing a racket.

"Keep quiet in there!" A guard yelled from outside the room.

"But I also saw another key that was silver," Nara said.

"Are you sure you know what you're talking about?" Tarik asked.

"I-I am sure! It was in this room. It appeared when I said something to a guard in a native language," Nara looked around the room.

"What did you say?"

"Ischezat."

At the same time Nara had said the word, an opening in the wall of her cell appeared, revealing a silver key.

"Woah!" Hanzan stared in awe.

Nara grabbed the key and crawled to her cell door, reaching her hand outside the bars and unlocking it.

"I'm out!" The girl gasped as she opened her door and rushed to Tarik's cell.

"Hurry!" Tarik urged as she unlocked his cell. He walked out, glad to be able to stretch his legs again.

After Nara had unlocked Hanzan's cell, the three of them approached the door that led outside of the room.

"Summon your spirit animals," Tarik whispered as he summoned Lumeo. The otter looked very confused as he had no idea what had happened.

Nara stared at Tarik.

"Why aren't you summoning yours?" Hanzan asked as Zhamin appeared next to Lumeo.

"Mine is dead."

There was an awkward silence for a long moment. Tarik put a hand on Nara's shoulder for comfort. Nara opened the door, screaming as she ran down the left hall while a guard ordered her to stop. Hanzan and Tarik ran after her in panic.

"Run!" Hanzan cried.

They followed Nara into the courtyard as more guards raced after them, their weapons ready. Nara approached a large gate and began to open it.

"Come on! We have to go! This is our only chance!" Nara ran forward once the gate was open.

Tarik pushed Hanzan through the gate as Zhamin and Lumeo went dormant. He stepped passed the gate and began to run. But something stopped him and dragged him back in. Nara and Hanzan turned around, their faces an expression of horror. The guard that grabbed him closed the gate and threw him to the ground.

He had failed to escape.