Lumeo's Power

It had been three days since Tarik and his friends left Greenhaven. They were heading to Amaya on a small boat, and Tarik had not slept for two days. The boat was uncomfortable and he felt cramped most of the time. Lishay would always keep him awake by asking: "Are you okay?" "Do you need anything?" "What's wrong?"

Ricko and Dorian were having a conversation about what life used to be like in Greenhaven.
"Training was hard because I was a slow learner," the senior Greencloak admitted.
"Did Olvan mind?" Dorian asked.
"He didn't seem to, he just told me that I needed to practise."

Tarik looked out over the ocean, it's waves tumbling over one another. The smell of the salt was so strong it made him screw up his nose. Lumeo was laying on his shoulders, following his gaze.
"Do you like it, Lumeo?" he whispered to the otter. Lumeo pressed his nose on Tarik's cheek and squeaked. Tarik watched as Lumeo got to his paws and jumped down next to him. The otter put a paw on Tarik's hand and looked at the water, then at him, then at the water, then at him multiple times.
"Do you want me to do something?" Tarik asked, confused. He heard Lumeo squeak again in annoyance and desperation. The otter moved his paw away and laid flat on his belly, his eyes droopy. Tarik rolled his eyes and put one hand in the water, the coldness sent a shiver through his body. Lumeo sat up again in excitement.
"Um..." Tarik looked at him.
"What are you doing?" Lishay peeked over his shoulder. "A shark will bite your arm off."
"I-" Tarik broke off. The water began to move around his hand in ripples. Bubbles formed as the ripples grew stronger and bigger.

Dorian and Ricko were watching in interest.
"That's cool!" Dorian exclaimed. "Is that from Lumeo?"
Tarik glanced at the otter who was watching happily, "It is, I'm impressed."
"I wonder what Zhosur can make me do," Lishay said.
"Different spirit animals give different powers to their partner," Ricko explained, "Tarik is showing a good example of some of the things they can do." Lishay and Dorian stared at Tarik, their eyes wide. Tarik tried to hide his embarrassment from Ricko's praise. He pulled his hand out of the water and within a few heartbeats the ripples had disappeared.

Ricko, looked up for a moment.
"Look, I can see land!" He grabbed a paddle and gave it to Dorian. "Row!"
"Okay!" Dorian pathetically lifted the paddle and pushed the tip into the water, forcing the boat to move forward. Ricko grabbed the other and did the same thing.
"Is that Amaya?" Lishay asked, staring out at the island.
"Yes," Ricko replied. "That is Amaya."