Chapter #23

If it meant I had to moan to get him to lose, I would do it but I found myself torn by different values that rushed into my thoughts as I said those words. 

***
Despite not truly believing in anything, even the Moon Goddess, I had deep-rooted respect for her as if I had to do right by her. I'm not sure whether this was because we were read stories about her at a young age and my role as a she-wolf was subconsciously written or because so many members of my family and Raiden's seemed to carry her in their hearts. 

In doing right by her: it meant I had to mate and seal our fates. 

I didn't want that. I mean... I do but I don't. 

My chest felt heavy from the catastrophic process of deciding whether I really wanted this. It was so easy to imagine and get lost into, but actually doing it was like stepping onto unknown territory. I wanted to make the Moon Goddess proud; I actually don't really know her, but this moment, this moment of decision felt personally tied with her. But I didn't want to feel "dirty". In all the years we were told not to engage with any males, the whole idea of mating, casual sex, and sexual encounters became somewhat taboo. 

It became taboo because the idea of finding "the one" was deeply engraved in our minds. Our abstained system in an effort to stop us from enjoying certain pleasures drew some to the brink of insanity. And now that I had to make this decision, I understood why. 

It was wrong to continue this way of life. To speak openly about sex and mating, and males, and females, but not be with them openly. Stories about mates running away with their high school crush and leaving their Chosen Mates to die sounded ludicrous. Who wouldn't want to be with the person they were meant to be with? 

***
I tried shaking the thoughts away. 

I will decide when the time comes. Right now, we were deciding on who the loser would be. 

Raiden had a calculative look in his eyes. He was weighing out his options, but it was clear that there was only one option that sounded half as reasonable as the others. He smiles at me, pulls my ear close to his mouth, "I could smell you from the moment your little pill ran out. It took you some time, but welcome back to the games Tania."

My eyes shut tightly as he spoke my name, and my hand gripped the car seat a little too hard. 

"I'd like to get to know you a little more before you finally admit defeat," he smirks.

I want to roll my eyes to the back of my head, this isn't how I had planned this. 

***

Raiden communicates something through his mind link and I envy the thoughts running through his mind as he glances over at me. We drive back to the lodge. I see the thatched roofs in the distance, and I begin to relax. The rain poured mercilessly, and I pressed my legs together as felt warm licks at my core. I shut my eyes tightly and breathed out as I bit the inside of my cheek and turned to the window. 

The raindrops racing down the surface of the window turned the light pouring from the lodge's windows into golden squiggles. I used this to distract myself as I felt Raiden's gaze on me. I almost ask him to stop but the car comes to a stop. I whip my head around, and he nods towards the pitch-black forest path we took when we left. 

I nod in return and curse at the thin material of my cheap dress. 

We run back to the reception and Doris is waiting for us as she tries not to freeze over. 

"Welcome back!" she yells over the sound of the storm, "We have done what you requested alpha!" she hands over the keys to Raiden. 

Raiden thanks her, and bids her goodnight, as he pulls me with him. He stops midtrack and turns around to look at my drenched figure, then takes in a deep breath as he locks gazes with me.