Anger Issues

When Marya returned home from school that day we were all ready to meet her. Marya was sixteen years old, a little taller than I was, with dark hair and light brown eyes - just like Bruce. Those weren't the only things she'd inherited from her biological father. She was extremely intelligent and had been skipped ahead a grade in school. There had been talk about skipping her ahead more than that, but it wasn't something encouraged in schools due to the strain it has on children's emotional and social development. So instead she was finishing up high school with her peer group while taking college courses as electives.

She also had her own little green problem.

Her powers worked differently from Bruce's. She could turn into a hulk, and that transformation could be triggered by extreme negative emotions - not just anger, but when she was really sad or anxious too. Unlike Bruce though, she never had to worry about sharing her body with another person. When she changed she was always herself and generally she had such precision control over the transformation that she could do it on command, much as Bruce could after the bonding ceremony all those years ago.

She looked around suspiciously at us as we called her over to the couches by the large window, typically the place where we had family meetings. It was usually where we spoke to the kids if they had done something they probably shouldn't have. We took an approach with our parenting where they didn't usually get in trouble for misbehaving. Rather we tried to think of a real-world consequence for what they'd done. For example, if they were fighting they had to sit down and listen to each other's grievances and then work out a way to both come to an understanding about how the other feels and try to make each other feel better. It didn't always work, but we figured it was better than arbitrarily making them go sit in the corner. So it made sense that she'd think she was in trouble for something.

"What'd I do?" She asked, dropping her backpack on the ground while she stood looking at her gathered parents.

"Why don't you tell us?" Sam teased. "And we'll tell you if that's it."

"I'm not falling for that," Marya snarked, folding her arms across her chest.

"Honey, sit down," Steve said, gently. "You're not in trouble. We just need to tell you something."

Marya sat down carefully, looking at everyone with deep suspicion. "Is someone else pregnant? Are you trying to populate Earth with just our family?"

"No," Clint laughed. "What the hell?"

I rolled my eyes. "Honestly, honey, I sometimes think the same thing," I said. "But that's not what this is."

"Your Aunt Angela came to visit today," Steve explained. "She's giving up the throne of Asgard."

"Does that mean Riley's going to be queen?" Marya asked, looking over at Thor. "I can't believe my sister's going to be the queen of a whole other planet."

Thor shook his head. "Riley is still too young to rule by Asgardian standards. My people - our people - would consider that the equivalent of having Zak as their king. I have to step up and take the lead."

"Which means, we are moving to Asgard," Steve finished. "I know that..."

"What?" Marya yelped, interrupting Steve as she blinked at us. "When?"

"Within the month," Steve said.

"But I have school!" Marya shouted. Her fists clenched and she started to turn green at the edges. "And what about my friends? You can't just take me away from everyone I ever knew!"

"Mar," Bruce said, gently. "Deep breath. Get that under control."

"Don't tell me how to feel!" Marya shouted, slamming her hands on the coffee table and sending a large crack through the heavy wood. I jumped a little, startled at her violent reaction, and the green started to creep into her arms starting at her hands, making her muscles swell and double in size.