Naming Day

When we reached the twins' naming day, I didn't feel like I was ready at all. There had been this brief rundown of the procedure that was lost in the middle of all the other things we had happening.

Thor reassured me it would be fine and as long as I just listened and followed instructions, things would be okay.

It would be my first appearance to the public as queen and mother to the heirs since Thour and Nova were born. I was a little nervous but this kind of thing was becoming a little too normal for me now. Things had changed a lot since I first bumped into Natasha all those years ago, that was for sure.

We were all dressed in white with gold accents. No one's clothing was exactly the same, but the men were all dressed in long white tunics with buttons up the front and high collars, while Natasha, Wanda, and I were in empire-cut dresses made from a light floaty fabric. It was a change from the usual formal wear. No one had any kind of armor, and usually, there was more color involved. Loki explained that this was truly a peaceful event and that dressing for war to name a child was an ill omen. We each wore crowns or circlets on our heads - mine had a blue gem on my forehead and delicate gold wings on the sides. Some of us wore other pieces of jewelry too - Wanda had her usual array of rings, while Natasha and I had opted for bracelets and armbands. Thor had the symbol of Mjolnir around his neck, and Tony wore a watch and a couple of rings. Clint was wearing the most of all of us, with an ear cuff, choker, thick gold cuffs on his wrists and rings.

The babies were in long gowns of dark red and green. "You don't think we're deciding which one is the evil one and which one is the good one by dressing them in these, are we?" Clint joked as Natasha and Steve dressed them.

Thor laughed loudly. "I will make sure my brother does not hear that repeated," he said. "These are just royal colors, and it is important that they stand out above us today as this is their day."

When we were ready a set of guards led us down to the courtyard of the palace where three carriages were waiting along with what appeared to be dozens of horses tacked and ready to ride. I was led to the lead carriage with Thor, Steve, and the babies, while everyone else split themselves between the other two carriages. The vulparev didn't like to be separated from the twins by too much and so they jumped in with us, and while Thor and Steve cradled a twin each, the little animals curled up at their feet.

"It's a shame we can't all fit in the same carriage," I said, looking back at the other two behind us.

"Yes, this is a unique situation," Thor said. "We discussed how to handle it. I tried to talk them out of focusing on the children's biology, but the elders were stuck on it."

"What will Clarke do?" I asked. "She's not exactly a spring chicken anymore."

"She is riding in a litter with the elders," Thor said. "Do not worry. We were always going to take care of your friend."

"Where exactly are we going?" Steve asked.

"To the roots of Ysgradil," Thor said. "It is a bit of a journey, so get comfortable."

When we were all in the carriages Billy brought Piper, Flynn, and Zac over. "Loki said to put these guys in with you," he said as he lifted them in.

"What about Ziggy and Anna?" I asked.

Billy pointed to where Fandral was helping Ziggy onto a white pony. "Gonna try riding for a bit. They may end up in here with you. Sif said it's a long ride."

"Look at our grandchildren," Steve said with a tender smile. "They're all growing up so fast."

"Alright," Billy said. "You three, be good for your grandparents."