The Coronation

On the day of the coronation, it was almost as if all of Asgard had come out to see it. I thought there had been a lot of people at the bonding ceremony. I had been wrong. I stood on the second to the top step beside the throne where Angela stood and could see a sea of people stretching out in front of me forever. Staggered down the steps beside me were Steve, Tony, Bucky, Sam, Bruce, Natasha, Wanda, and Clint, while opposite us were Loki, our kids, and grandchildren. Thor's friends were all waiting in groups at the bottom of the stairs. There was a lot of noise in the large open space, and I hoped this wouldn't take too long. As it was, Steve already had his arm around my waist to support me.

A fanfare played and everyone began to cheer. Even with the excitement from the crowd, Thor approached reverently. This was not something he was taking on lightly. He didn't want to rule, but he knew that his people needed him.

He reached the stairs and slowly climbed them, nodding to his family as he rose towards his sister. She stood dressed in gold, two long, gold ribbons swirling around her, and her sword held down in front of her. Thor kneeled in front of her.

"Thor Odinson, my brother and heir to the throne of Asgard," Angela said. "He who commands the elements, and is worthy of wielding the mighty hammer Mjolnir, forged in the heart of a dying star and with a power none can equal, both as a weapon to destroy or as a tool to build.

"I have ruled in your place these past short years. Your older sister, but the throne was never meant for me. It is time for you to return to your rightful place as leader of your people."

Angela looked down at Thor kneeling before her and addressed him directly. "Do you swear to guard the nine realms?"

"I swear," Thor solemnly replied.

"And do you swear to preserve the peace?"

"I swear."

"Do you swear to cast aside all selfish ambition and pledge yourself only to the good of the realms?"

"I swear."

"Then on this day," Angela proclaimed, touching the sword on Thor's shoulder. "I, Angela Odinsdottir, proclaim you king of Asgard and ruler of the nine realms. Stand and take your throne."

Thor stood and moved to his throne. He sat down on it and there was a huge cheer from the crowd. It was almost deafening in volume and the younger children all hid behind their parents and covered their ears. As the sound subsided Angela raised her hands. "People of Asgard, we welcome the return of the rightful king of Asgard. Let us feast and celebrate the continued success of our people and those of the nine realms."

Thor stood again and raised Mjolnir in the air to a return of thunderous applause by the crowd. He walked forward and offered me his arm. I hooked my elbow through it and we began descending the stairs. The rest of our very large family followed in pairs behind us.

"How fare you?" Thor asked, patting my hand as he led me through the crowd.

"I'm alright. A little tired and sore, but that will be helped when we're sitting and eating," I said. "How are you?"

He nodded. "Fine. I feel... different this time. I still would rather not lead, and honestly, I'm not sure a monarchy is ideal, but it still seems to be something my people want. I'm glad you're all here at my side."

"Will all these people be participating in the feast?" I asked.

Thor chuckled. "There will be feasting provided outside for many. Mead, ale, roast meats. But not the more formal feast we are to attend."

"I was wondering," I said and Thor laughed again and kissed my hand.

"It's funny to think this is the third time you've done this," I said as we turned and made our way away from the crowds, down a hall.