☾ Sometimes It's Overwhelming ☼

Dolores has sensitive ears, everyone knows that, right?

Dolores; she/her
Y/n; she/her implied but not used (i think)

Warnings: if you squint there's a little angst.
POV: Second.
Notes: you said fluff but i am so sorry that i got a tad bit angsty in the middle. could you please tell me if it's angsty enough to add the angst theme tag in the title? (if that makes sense, i can't word shit properly). if you want me to rewrite some things to make it less angsty , please tell me !
_cloudtastic_

"Dolores, your mother is... freaking out a little." You glanced over at Pepa who was pacing in the main room, then your friend who stood right beside you upstairs.

"What if it doesn't go as planned? Like Mirabel's ceremony. She's probably freaking out about that." Dolores wasn't so sure if she should go down there to try and calm her down. She knew how she could get when worked up like this, it was always best to leave her alone in these scenarios.

"It'll be fine," you placed a hand on her shoulder before hanging up a few ribbons from upstairs.

Some people said that Pepa and Félix practically adopted you. While still spending time with your own family, whenever you had free time, it was found with the Madrigal family. Your family was pretty close with them and they looked up to them a lot for all they've done for the encanto. You grew close as time passed. Even Camilo asked your parents if he could take you away and live in his room.

To this day you couldn't exactly tell if it was a joke or not.

"Sometimes I feel bad for Mirabel. Don't you?" After hanging up the ribbons you followed Dolores to her room, closing the door behind yourself as you sat upon her bed, eventually laying down. "Imagine how she feels."

"Must be terrible." Dolores sat beside you, placing a hand in your hair.

You'd give up anything for her. She's been your best friend since you were seven. She's a part of you as a human being. You can't see my life without her; life without her feels like it isn't worth living.

"You okay?" You noticed how she trembled ever so slightly, placing your hand on her leg.

"Hm?" She looked down at you, lifting her hand from your head. "Yes, yes I'm okay." She gave you a reassuring smile.

Dolores remembered her gift ceremony.

Oh, she was so excited. She vividly remembered walking up the stairs and to the door that was now her room. She remembered the smile on her parents' faces. She remembered the adrenaline rushing through her veins as she held the magical candle in her hands before opening the door.

She remembered the way her heart raced as she heard the sound of fireworks crashing in the air; the sound of everyone in town cheering and clapping.

Dolores didn't want to cry that day. She always saw Abuela scold her mother about bad emotions and how tears or anger should always be kept in.

But she couldn't do it.

Five-year-old Dolores couldn't mask emotions like that.

She covered her ears, trembling as she tried to contain the sound. Not even covering them helped. "Please, please, please... stop..." she remembered the way she'd repeat those two words over and over again no louder than a whisper.

"Dolores?"

"Make it STOP!" She remembered the strain in her lungs as she screamed, falling onto her knees and crying the hardest she's ever cried.