☼ If You Love Her ☼

She'll love you, if you love her like that.

Gabriel; he/him
Valerie; she/her

Warnings: a smidge of angst, mention of death.
POV: Third.
Notes: sorry i didn't ask before writing this i wanted it to be a bit of a surprise -stealingcrisp.
should i make a part two ? 🤔🤔
~25% editted. sorry , amor.

   "You're a 44-year-old king who rules over a kingdom and makes all of its important decisions such as who we could potentially go to war with, and yet you can't even talk to her?" Ezra sat in his room with his father, one leg crossed over the other while his arms were folded across his chest.

   "You know I'm not good at this." Gabriel scoffed, looking at his son with a look of desperation as he leaned back against the chair he sat upon. "How do I know if she's ready for love?"

   "Talk to her and you'll find out."

   "It's not that easy!" He hasn't meant to raise his voice, quickly calming down as he rubbed his forehead.

   Ezra found it amusing how his father went to his own son for relationship advice. Usually, it'd be the other way around. "Just do the same with what you did with mom."

   "She isn't your mother, she isn't the same." Gabriel always got defensive whenever the topic of his dead wife was brought up. A part of him felt like he was cheating on her by having his eyes on another woman. It felt wrong but at the same time, it felt so right. Day after day he's denied these feelings for so long. Ever since he accepted them, he hasn't been able to function around her properly.

   Who knew that a townswoman of a different kingdom could capture his heart like this.

   "Lo siento, Papa." Ezra planted both of his feet on the floor, resting his elbows on his knees. "Okay well..." he stood up, walking over to him and fixing the tilted crown that sat upon his head. "Take it with care, if she gives you heart don't drop it." He then went to flatten the wrinkles on his clothes. "Let your arms be a place she can feel safe in. She's the best thing that you'll ever have."

   Gabriel listened closely, looking up at the teenager as he spoke. "No. You'll be the best thing I'll ever have." No matter what happens, his love for his son will never falter. Even if Gabriel pushes him away for whatever reason or if he's never there; this love stays the same. It may not look like it, sometimes, but it's there.

   Ezra smiled at that, chuckling to himself. "Okay then," he was happy hearing this, his heartwarming up at the comfort of that one sentence. "She loves love notes and likes giving gifts. Sometimes it'll be hard for her to accept good compliments, but that doesn't mean she'll love you any less. If she ever forgets how pretty she is, tell her over and over so she never forgets." He sat beside him on the couch, "she loves her whole family and all of her friends, she's a kind woman. So if you're the one she lets in, you have to be careful. Think before you speak. Breaking her heart is the last thing you'll want to do."

   How much of Ezra's childhood did Gabriel miss? Since when was his son so wise and good with words? This conversation made him feel better, but at the same time pained him, knowing that he was asking his son for advice. It should've been the other way around, it shouldn't be like this, not in his mind. There was never a memory where Ezra came to him for any sort of advice.