2

My bags have just been taken downstairs by my bodyguards, as I continue to check I have everything for the plane ride

My bags have just been taken downstairs by my bodyguards, as I continue to check I have everything for the plane ride. I quickly put my stuff in my carryon and head for the door, after ensuring my room is locked.

Downstairs, I make myself a peach iced tea, grab a chocolate breakfast bar, check the wrapper and then put it in my bag.

In the car, I sit close to the door, away from Elijah.

We have a smooth 10 hour plane ride, and get to Athens at 1:00am. The car journey to the hotel is brief, and I spend it sleeping.

I look around at the beautiful place I and Elijah will be staying in for the next weeks, as we deal with one of Greece's biggest crime organisations and try to make new alliances.

"Room for Haze," I vaguely hear Elijah say, to which the receptionist answers by looking at her computer. "Okay, Mr and Mrs Haze, your room will be on the 17th floor." Her words grab my attention.

We walk to the elevator, and as soon as we're in and the door slide shut, I turn to him and ask, "You only booked us one room? Why?"

He's unbothered by how much I hate this, as he types on him phone, not even dignifying me with a look. "We're not in New York anymore. Our enemies run this place. They already think this marriage is fake, just for appearances. If they find out that we're not sharing a room - as husband and wife - what makes you think they won't be out for your head."

I huff in annoyance, "Who cares if our marriage is fake. Everyone like us does it."

He clears his throat and finally looks at me, "Everybody knows I care about no one. If I married you as a contract agreement, with no feelings involved, not for love, people will believe that you're collateral damage I can afford, and try to get rid of you. You'll be their target and they'll pray day and night to have your head. My deal with your family doesn't allow that."

I understand immediately. This contract and faux marriage has controlled all our actions for the past year.

He literally can't afford for me to die.