12

Today, I woke up with a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach

After brushing my teeth, showering and having breakfast, the feeling still lingers and I feel anxious to leave the house, but I have to because of a business lunch I have to attend.

Elijah is still not talking to me, after our argument last night, so I don't know if he's in the house or not. I send him a quick text asking him to talk to me, and instead of viewing it immediately like he usually does, the text remains unread until I leave the house.

I and Santi sit in the back of the car while Daniel drives, and talk about his niece, whose birthday is a month away. "I think we'll be back in New York, by then. And if we're not, I'll force Elijah to give you a week or two off."

"That's not necessary, Lilliana," he says, but I ignore him and pull out my phone, saving the dates on my calendar so I can remind Elijah.

Our conversation continues to flow, and every time we include Daniel, he gives us curt and short answers. Santi tells me to not take it personally because he's been this way all week.

"The road ahead is closed so, we'll need to take a different one, ma'am," I nod at Daniel's words and continue tapping on the screen of my phone, when the feeling from this morning intensifies.

Before I realise it, I'm sending my location to both Elijah and Alena.

Daniel drives to an unknown part of the city and I ask him to stop by a gas station, so I can use the toilet. "Are you sure, miss? We're just a few minutes away." He asks, but I just nod, "Yes, it's urgent. I'm sorry, but you know. . . this baby makes it difficult for me to keep it any longer."

He sighs and stops by a gas station. Santi gets out with me, and when Daniel starts to do the same, I tell him it's not necessary.

As he sits back down, we make eye contact through the mirror, and the look he gives me sends a shiver down my spine.

"Hey, Santi. Is everything okay with Daniel? Is it just me or is he acting weird?" He shrugs his shoulders, "Don't pay attention to it. That's what I do, because when is Daniel not acting weird?" He laughs, and I manage to let out a forced laugh, before walking into the toilet.

As soon as I'm inside, I close myself in a stall. I try and call Elijah but he doesn't answer. I try again at least ten times, and his phone rings multiple times before the call ends and eventually, it it starts going straight to voicemail.

"Fuck!" My heart rate is elevated and so is my blood pressure. I text him continuously, without an answer.

Elijah

Something is wrong

I need you to fucking answer

Please

Idc if you're pissed at me right now

Please answer

Ffs elijah