24

After weeks of looking for a new home, and not finding anything he likes, Elijah has decided that the best thing for our family is to build one.

So, for the last week, I have been working with an architect and an interior designer to build my dream home. Elijah gave me full control, because he wants me to love the home I'm going to live in and he's going to love anything I decide.

With nothing to do during the day except for look after Mariana, who spends so much time sleeping anyway, I agreed immediately.

A knock on the door forces me to stop rocking Mariana to sleep after her midday feeding, and when I open the door, my interior designer, Felicity, greets me with a smile.

I urge her to come in, "How are you?" I ask, still rocking the fussing baby in my arms. "I'm good. I have the new designs for the living room. Lilliana, they're so beautiful."

"Show me. Show me." My excitement is almost embarrassing.

For the following two hours we make small changes and tweaks to the design and finalize materials and furniture.

I only realize what time it is when the kids rush in, followed by Malik. Felicity leaves soon after, and as the kids gather around the kitchen island to grab snacks I pull Malik aside.

"Did Elijah call you? I thought he was supposed to pick the kids up?"

He nods dismissively, too focused on Mariana's giggles as he blows raspberries on her belly. "Yeah, he called me and asked to pick them up because something came up and he knew you had to meet with Felicity."

"Oh ok. Well, thanks."

"I love my nieces and nephews. I can pick them up any day you want."

I wait for Elijah to get home until the late hours of the night, but he doesn't come home. Eventually, my eyes get heavier and I fall asleep.

I'm woken up by my phone ringing around 2:00am. It's my mother.

"Hello?"

"Lilliana, you need to come to the Storage. Now." Her tone is not leaving much room for argument. "Mom. It's two in the morning. Is this really the best time? The kids are asleep. I'm not waking them up."

"That wasn't a request, Lilliana Campbell. Make yourself presentable and get there now."

"Mom, what happened?"

She sighs, "There was a security breach. More than fifty million dollars' worth of weapons are missing."

"Okay, why do you need me there. You usually deal with this."

"You're the head of Campbell Cross. You need to be there to let our people know what to do next."

I sit up from the sofa, burying my face in the palms of my hands and letting out a breath. "Can you not do that?"

"No. Be here in twenty minutes." The line goes dead.

I head to my room to get ready and simultaneously text my cousins to come stay with the kids, because Elijah is still not home. Nessa gets to the house in five minutes.

After writing a quick good morning message for the kids, and using a magnet to stick to the fridge, I head to my car. I keep trying to get in contact with Elijah, yet, I receive no reply. An uneasy feeling settles at the pit of my stomach but I decide to focus on getting to the storage.

I see my mother immediately when I get there. When I get out of the car, she just motions for me to join her. "Follow me." That is all she says.

"Whoever did this has been surveilling the place for a long time.