Chapter 2: Salt & the Sea

"I'll let the darkness swallow me wholeI need to find you, need you to knowI'll be your friend in the daylight againThere we will be, like an old enemyLike the salt and the sea"Salt & the Sea - The Lumineers

I need to find you, need you to know
I'll be your friend in the daylight again
There we will be, like an old enemy
Like the salt and the sea"
Salt & the Sea - The Lumineers

(I lied I'm still gonna put song lyrics on every chapter lol)
🌊
*********

"Yah!"

The carriage jolted, horses startling from the loud sound.

And with a single yell, Leila's life was left to be forgotten behind her. Once given away for marriage, a woman was never able to return home.

At least, not alive.

Her head rested on the silver wrought wall of the carriage, lavender flowers painted across it. Wrapping her in a floral embrace. Feeling the shake of the ground settle into her bones as she waited for the long journey ahead.

Leila would have all the time in the world to think, as they made their way to her betrothed's kingdom by the sea. 

She had spent all morning visiting all those she might've missed. There was no one despite Elder Fareena, her parents, her two sisters. And they were not allowed to care for her in any capacity.

As if they knew her fate was worse than theirs.

Despite the honor of her life, they would live more comfortably. They could choose to marry who they respected within their own village. No other responsibilities other than to be content, and bare children. Those who liked the same gender could marry as well, and take care of tasks that didn't involve children.

They would be carefree. Able to grow some attachments. Maybe even get as close to affection and caring as one could in their world, without raising alarms. They had no power. No fate hanging on the thread of their choices.

Leila, as princess and nobility of her country, would not be so lucky.

Elder Fareena had told her that only those who were strong enough were dealt tragedy. It was as close as Leila been to being given affection from someone. Or an apology, for being the piece of fate that would make or break their world.

Raised as a tool, and a weapon she would become.

The girl laughed to herself wistfully, as the carriage jumped under her once more.

She did one thing she was not allowed to do, to miss. To regret. To long.

No, she would not miss her family. The way they sent her off without as much as a tear. No she would not miss the envious but relieved stares of her fellow community members. Nor would she miss any of the boys who pulled her hair, and tried to sway her with pretty words that crumbled like dried flowers with time.