Chapter 45: Savior

"Who fetches the water from the rocky mountain spring?And walk back down again to feel your words and their sharp stingFor somebody that I thought was my saviourYou sure make me do a whole lot of labour"

And walk back down again to feel your words and their sharp sting
For somebody
that I thought was my saviour
You sure make me do
a whole lot of labour"

Labour - Paris Paloma

Spice - O - Meter: 🌶️🌶️🌶️ (kinda)

🪷
Lily

Her entire life she was in servitude to her other half. The person who she had entered this world with, and surely would've left without.

One never forgets the night they were almost murdered.

The person who stole her from her bed wore a deep blue hood. Their voice not a clue to their age or gender. They were the ghouls and witches she'd been warned to avoid, snatching children while they slept.

"Would you like to see the ocean?"

Lily had never been allowed before. She couldn't swim, and no one had plans of teaching her. Only the boys had been allowed to learn. She'd sat on the shore, pouring as she watched them play. But the dark spray of Black Sea had always called to her.

All fables and warnings seemed not to matter at the opportunity for adventure.

"Yes."

And so she walked willingly with death.

It's hand had been cold, but Lily did not mind. The sea was colder.

The captor let her play, for only a moment.

The water was just as glorious as she imagined. Bring and chilling. The moon kissed upon her cheeks, catching her smiles as she splashed within the shallow part of the waves. It did not matter that the brown dye in her hair had started to seep onto the white of her dress. Mama Clarisse was not there to yell at her for going near water.

And she was sure her new friend wouldn't tell.

She dallied, watching the moon create pearls on the surface. Watching her hand disappear beneath its inky depths. She leaned forward, trying to catch sight her reflection.

The water instantly went into her lungs, as she was pushed head first into the icy blackness. Her scream could not be heard, only a gargle as her limbs flailed like young calf. The waves pulled her in, embracing her.

It was the first time Lily felt betrayal. Not because of the stranger who turned out to be cruel.

But because the ocean to which she longed to voyage had taken her into its clutches, ripping her from her childlike nativity as it ravaged more of her breath.