Chapter 22: Iris

"And I'd give up forever to touch you'Cause I know that you feel me somehowYou're the closest to heaven that I'll ever beAnd I don't want to go home right now"

'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now"

Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
🔎

Jimin

Maybe it would've been fine if she hadn't kissed him. Maybe then, everything would've been a little easier. Made more sense.

But nothing made sense. Nothing at all as blood pounded through his ears, vision darkening. As he imagined Taehyung falling upon Leila's trap in that sheer gown that she wore. What more than likely would ensue between the couple.

He was up and running off the bed before Taehyung had even made it down the hall. Jimin could hear it, every determined fucking step forward.

Lily's laugh sounded from behind him, "Where are you running off to? I'm going to be bored now that Leila will be gone for the night. Let's go steal wine from the-"

Jimin gritted his teeth, not wanting to hear another word from his oblivious sibling that somehow shared his blood, "Entertain yourself. And who knows? Taehyung's been such a coward she might sulk her way back to this room in no time."

The advisor didn't even look back as he said it. Not wanting the hopeful catch in his tone to be heard. Nor the wild bitterness.

This is what Solis wanted.

Used to want.

Maybe now, everything could be set into place from before. It was only coincidence that Leila asked for Jimin to step into her room in order to call upon the prince. Unknowingly furthering him along in his betrayal, as he now directly helped them consummate their marriage. If they consummated their marriage.

Maybe now he wouldn't have to kill her. Maybe it would be good enough for the deity that revealed no true motive. Maybe Jimin's deceit was finished, and the rewards would fall into his lap.

I should feel relief.

Yet still, the room was too hot. Every time he swallowed it felt like shards of glass passed through. A strange squeezing pierced his heart, making him feel panicked and exposed.

His sister wouldn't shut up, high pitched voice mixing with the pound of blood in his head, "You're his best friend, and you can't tell that he's obsessed with her? And I don't think it has anything to do with the curse. I remember before she got here how disinterested he was in getting to know her more. Now they can't keep away from each other. Aren't you happy for him? For her?"

Of course Taehyung was obsessed with her. Who wouldn't be. Even his prickly, stuck up royal ass couldn't deny her. His stoic facade crumbling. It was cathartic, to watch the prince who was so sure of his restraint, fall to a girl who knew nothing of seduction.