ii.

two ── meetings

𝕰den was practically trembling with excitement

𝕰den was practically trembling with excitement. Finally, after so many hours and time spent filling out documents, submitting medical information, having interviews with social workers, talking to her family's lawyer and waiting for a match, it had come through.

She'd been in her mother's home, just about to sit down at the dinner table to eat when her phone had pinged.

"Sorry, let me just get this." Her mother had waved her off, and Eden had smiled before disappearing into the living room to read the email. She had thought that it was something to do with the business, but the message had been on her personal email, and Eden had opened it with a baited breath before grinning widely and pressing a hand to her mouth.

It was from her caseworker, who had sent her the information on a young teenager that needed adopting. It wasn't one that she had mentioned about adopting, but the woman had obviously thought that this little boy was best suited for her and his social worker had agreed.

"Mom!" Eden leant her head back into the hallway, rushing down to show her phone to the woman. "Look. This is who I could be adopting! The case worker just sent it through and wants me to review it before it's finalised!"

There had been muffled screeches from her mother, congratulations from her step-dad and half-siblings as they began to celebrate at the thought of having a new grandchild in the family.

Now, Eden was pacing around her house, chewing on her nails and wondering when they'd show up. It was the first time that she was meeting the boy, a twelve year old called Luke Castellan, and she couldn't quite decide whether she was nervous or excited.

"Mom, I don't know what to do. What do I say?" She paused in pacing to hiss down the phone at her mother, who was laughing at her daughter's panicked state in an unhelpful manner. "Help me!"

"Alright, alright," Her mother laughed again, before finally settling down. "You've said it yourself, he seems like the perfect kid to come into your life. He's active, enjoys sports so you two have that in common, likes dogs so you could talk about Bradley."

The large golden retriever was snoring from besides the fire, and Eden's mother continued.

"He's twelve and look, he's probably just as nervous about all of this as you are." Eden wasn't sure if that was possible, but nodded her head all the same. "You're going to be alright. Once you see him, you'll just know if you think that he could be your son."

Eden rolled her eyes at the notion, before freezing as a car pulled up outside.

"Mom, I'm gonna call you back, they just got here."

"Deep breath, keep calm and I love you." Eden nodded, saying a quick goodbye, before hanging the phone up and sliding it into her pocket as she tried to wipe the sweat off of her hands.