xvi.

sixteen ── pranks

𝕳ermes liked to believe that he was prepared for anything. He was a god, a high ranking god at  that, so being ready for the unexpected was sort of in his job description. But, when he picked up his phone on a Wednesday afternoon, Hermes was more than willing to say that he truly had not been expecting this phone call.

"Hello." Hermes continued to write down the newest contract with Olympian TV, holding his phone between his ear and his shoulder as he stuck his tongue out, concentrating deeply.

"Dad. It's me." 

Hermes dropped his pen...and then the phone. He scrambled for it, almost hitting his head on the desk and he clutched the phone to his ear once more, eyes wide.

"Luke?"

"Yeah, don't make a big deal out of this." Hermes spluttered for a second, before shaking his head.

"Of course not. Not a big deal at all." This was a very big deal. "Hi, Luke. What can I do for you? Everything okay? Need anything?"

"I said don't make a big deal out of this.."

"I promise you, I'm not." Hermes smoothed out his shirt, before grinning (despite the fact that Luke couldn't see him). "What can I do for you?"

"I need some prank ideas." Luke muttered, his voice getting lost to static.

"What?"

"I need some help with pranks!" Hermes' lit up, pulling open a draw and slamming a file down onto his desk. He was prepared for this. So very truly prepared.

"I'm so glad you asked, Luke, how many do you need? Difficulty rating? Limits and boundaries?" Hermes waited, flicking through the pile on his desk.

"No limit and, uh, four." Luke listed off some names, before nodding. "Four."

"That I can do for you." Hermes nodded, flicking through to the section marked under Luke's name and finding a nice stack of four pranks that he felt were good enough to be used for his son. "Alright. I've got them. I'll come by now and drop them off."

"You really don't have to." Luke sighed.

"Please, it's not like I'm busy at all. I'll come now." Hermes was already pulling on a pair of shoes and a blazer, hurrying out of his office on Olympus. He barely stopped, brushing past other gods and jumping into the elevator, wishing for it to hurry faster so that he could get to his son.

It seemed to take a lifetime to get down, before he rushed onto the street and hurried towards the nearest alley so that he could reach Eden's house. 

By the time he found one, Hermes was out of breath, as he reappeared in front of Eden's house. It was an hour or so outside of New York, and Hermes had been in awe of the place when he had first seen it.