iv.

four ── homework

𝕴f there was one person who was more excited about Luke joining the family than Eden, it was her mother. The woman had been ecstatic when she heard that Eden was thinking of adopting, supporting her all the way as she went through every process and sitting with her at every meeting.

She'd understood when Eden had told her that, when Luke first came home, she didn't want the family around for a bit just so that Luke could adjust before he was introduced to everyone, but that didn't mean that she wasn't still on the phone to her or helping her get things ready.

"Here we are." Macy, despite being in her late sixties, still looked as glamorous as she had in her late twenties, a wide grin on her face and a spark in her eyes that age hadn't been able to dim. She set the final bags of food onto the countertop as she began to help Eden unpack. "So, he's going to be here soon."

"Yeah, another few hours and he's here for the rest of the weekend. Pat will come and pick him back up on Sunday night cause he's got school the next morning."

"Then what happens?"

"Well, then I've got a final meeting with Pat, Luke's foster parents, my case worker and we'll discuss how the move in is going to work and hopefully, get it sorted for next weekend. That will coincide with his school holidays, and I can get things transferred to his new school and all."

"I'm so excited!" Macy clapped her hands together, before shutting the fridge. "Remember, you can take adoption leave from the company for a week or two."

"Yeah, I applied last week."

"And I know you said that you didn't want us to come around but I wanted to make him a cake, from the rest of the family, so that we could welcome him in." Macy smiled. "So ask him what cake he likes."

"I will." Eden smiled, before grabbing a mug from the bag. She'd brought a new one for Luke, which was covered with Golden Retrievers, like Bradley. Opening the cupboard, she put it beside her own and tried to keep the massive grin off of her face. "Right, you need to head off soon cause Luke will be here in an hour or two and I need to shower."

"You stink from the gym." Her mother teased, as Eden slapped her hand aside.

"Thanks Mom."

"You're welcome baby." Macy kissed her cheek, before following Eden down the hall and to the front of the house. "Remember, if you need me, give me a call and I'll be over as quickly as I can."