xix.

nineteen ── thanksgiving

"𝕬re you nervous?" Eden turned to look up at the tall god, who was hovering behind her. Hermes was a little paler, holding onto the pumpkin pie and roast potatoes that Eden had to bring for the dinner. "Hermes?"

"Hm?" The god turned to look down at her, as Luke appeared on his other side, holding onto Bradley's lead. The boy was still in a sulk that his cereal had been frozen into the bowl, and that there had been Mountain Dew in his shower, which had made his curls sticky. It had taken him an extra ten minutes to clean that out of his hair, coming down in a huff that it had happened. "Nah, I'm all good."

Hermes had been dragged along to attending Thanksgiving, having still been living with them. Eden hadn't trusted him enough to leave him home alone, so had resorted to bringing Hermes with her. She hadn't exactly explained to her parents who was coming, just saying a friend, as she wasn't quite sure how to explain who Hermes was.

The door in front of them flung open, as Macy appeared.

"Grandma!" Luke was the first to embrace the woman, letting go of Bradley so that the dog could race off into the house. 

"Happy Thanksgiving, kiddo." Macy exclaimed, kissing the boy's head. "Look at you, you're still growing!"

"I know. He's too tall." Eden patted her son's head. "Hi mom."

Kissing the older woman's cheek, she turned and pointed.

"Mom, this is Hermes." Macy's eyebrow cocked. "Uh, he's...he's a..."

"Grandma, this is my dad." Luke appeared, grabbing the food from Hermes' hands and disappearing again as Eden nodded.

"Yeah, that sums it up. Mom, this Luke's dad, Hermes."

"Good to meet you, ma'am." Hermes smiled softly, though his eyes were glancing between Eden and her mother.

"Uh huh." Macy looked him up and down. "Luke's dad, right. It's good to meet you."

She held her hand out, allowing the man to shake it quickly. Hermes nodded, watching as Macy and Eden walked off, talking in hushed tones. He took that time to pull his shoes off, chewing on his lips nervously as he followed after them. Despite being a god, Hermes didn't quite know what to make of the situation. He felt very out of place, and it was making the god awkward.

"Why do you look like someone's died?" Luke appeared beside him, staring up at his father with a cocked eyebrow. "I can't believe that meeting Grandma and Grandpa is what's making you nervous. Haven't you, like, fought in wars before?"

"Thanks, Luke." Hermes sighed, staring down at his son. "I'm just not good at meeting new people, that's all."

"You're weird."