xxvii.

twenty-seven ── tracking

"𝕰den, you need to rest. Even if it was for an hour." Hermes held onto the woman, as she shook her head. "You need to rest. Otherwise, you won't be able to search properly."

"How? How can I sleep?" Eden turned to him. "Luke is missing! Luke is gone and I'm supposed to be alright with that?"

"No, of course not." Hermes crouched in front of her, smoothing her hair back and holding onto her hands. "I will go and look, but if he's outside then there's the possibility there might be monsters, and I can't have you also getting injured."

"How am I supposed to sleep?"

"Eden," Eden leant forward, her head hitting Hermes' shoulder as she slowly began to cry. Hermes cooed, drawing her closer and trying his best to sooth her as she continued to cry into his shoulder. "Hey, Edie..."

"I can-I can't do this. I need to get Luke."

"I know, I know." Hermes nodded. "But let me try and track him, okay? I'm a god, and I know his habits, I know where he'll go."

"I want to come."

"Eden."

"Please."

"Eden." Hermes pulled her head back, before wiping her tears away and kissing her head. "Bed, rest as best you can. We'll start tomorrow morning. Let me do my godly thing first, see what I can work out. Okay?"

Eden nodded, as Hermes followed her back up to her room, tucking her in and kissing her head gently.

"One hour?"

"One hour." Hermes confirmed. "Then I'll wake you up and we can go."

She nodded, and Hermes took off at that, leaving the boundary around the house and searching for some sort of sign that his son was alright. There was an aura around the house, of a monster, a big one, but Hermes knew that Luke wouldn't have been able to sense it unless he went outside, and he wouldn't go outside unless something had caught his attention. But what would have done that?

Hermes turned back to the house, thinking of what Luke might do and searching around for some form of sign that Luke had been there. Pausing by the living room window, Hermes' eyes widened. He could see the hall from here, which means Luke saw something and came outside.

Looking around, Hermes crouched, before humming. There was a footprint in the flower bed, too small to be Luke's or any adults, so it was another kid. Hermes was sure that Luke had been on the run with someone before he got put back in the system, so that meant they came to get Luke.