xviii.

eighteen ── tensions

𝕰den wasn't stupid. She could feel the tension that had enveloped her house from having Hermes and Luke in close proximity, and it was putting her on edge

"Have a good day at school, baby." Eden pressed a kiss to Luke's head, dropping him off at the school gate. She was working from home for the next few days whilst Hermes stayed with them, so was insistent on dropping her son off at school. Hermes stood a few steps behind her, waving at Luke with a half-smile as the boy's eyes narrowed. "Luke."

"Thanks, ma." He huffed. "Dad."

Hermes didn't have the opportunity to say anything before Luke was disappearing to go and find his friends and start school. He had two more days before the weekend and break for Thanksgiving, which Eden was trying to work out how best to deal with. She hadn't even been able to think about her pranks for the year, too focused on what had been so off at her house, and if there was a cause for concern, and if she had to bring Hermes to her family's Thanksgiving. 

She did not want to.

"Are you going to the office?" Hermes questioned quietly, staring down at her as Eden thought.

"No." She huffed, turning to walk back to the car as Hermes shoved his hands deep into his pocket and hurried to keep up. 

"Well, what are you gonna do?"

"I've got to get things ready for Thanksgiving."

"The pranks." Eden froze, twisting to look up at the taller god, who was nodding his head slowly.

"Who-" She paused before pulling a face. "You're helping Luke."

"I might be." Eden could recall that Hermes was the trickster god, which probably meant that he had a very unfair advantage. "He called and asked. What was I supposed to say?"

"No, I won't give my child pranks that I've been perfecting for possibly hundreds of years?"

"I wouldn't go that far." Hermes laughed, as Eden began to shake her head and grin. "Look, he called and asked and I said yes."

"That's why you were at the house."

"Yeah."

"Can you help me, because with everything that's been going on, I haven't been able to get pranks for everyone yet."

"I'm not allowed. Luke made me promise, and I think he'd be upset if I did."

"Well, as much as I'm glad that you're learning to think of and respect Luke's feelings, I now need you to be a horrible god and help me out."