iii.

three ── first night

𝕿here was a slight dust cloud as Pat drove away, leaving Luke standing by Eden's side. After multiple successful visits, and a couple of times of Luke and Pat staying over, the social worker had decided that it was high time that Eden and Luke stayed together without her supervision.

Eden had never been so nervous in her life. Luke was a great kid, sure, and they got along really well but tonight was sort of a make or break type thing because if it didn't go well, then she wouldn't be able to foster and then adopt him. Eden had grown to care for Luke, a lot, so that wasn't something she wanted to happen at all.

Eden glanced down at Luke, before grinning.

"I was thinking of making pizza tonight. You down?"

"Absolutely." Luke sent her a small smile, throwing his backpack off and kicking his shoes away in the hall as Eden laughed and closed the door. "What are we gonna do?"

"I don't know. Watch a movie probably, make pizzas and then, tomorrow, before Pat comes back, me and you can take Bradley for a walk. What do you think?"

"I like it."

"Brilliant!" Eden sighed in relief as Luke sent her another small grin, before rushing upstairs to put his backpack into his room. Eden watched him go, a grin plastered on her face as she did a little happy dance, before heading back to the kitchen and pulling the ingredients for pizza from the fridge. Bradley curled around her legs and Eden grinned, ruffling at his fur, before Luke came bounding back down the stairs and into the kitchen. "You want to feed him?"

"Sure." Luke clambered onto the counter, opening on the of the cupboards and filling a scoop with dog food. Bradley began to bark and wag his tail, jumping from side to side as Luke laughed and tried to get past the dog to put it in his food bowl. Eden's grin grew, as she watched as Luke beamed happily.

When he first came over for visits, he'd been really quiet and had barely said anything. Eden wasn't sure if Luke thought that she might still not adopt him, or this was some sort of dream, but it had taken a little bit of time and he'd warmed up slightly. He laughed and smiled more, and was slightly more open about his life though not yet his past.

Luke finally put it down, before washing his hands and hurrying to stand with Eden as he looked at the array of pizza toppings in front of him, eyes wide. Eden slid a tray over to him, before showing him what to do with the tomato sauce and cheese. Luke watched her, following her every movement, before looking at the toppings in front of him.

"How many can I have?" He watched her with wide eyes, his curly hair falling in front of his face as Eden made a mental note that he might need a haircut soon otherwise he might not be able to see past his fringe.