xv.

fifteen ── preparations

𝕬fter the misunderstanding between them, Eden had made it her life's goal to be as transparent with Luke as she possibly could, though there were certain things she could not tell him.

Luke had kept his guard up for a few days, slinking around the house and barely speaking to her, but slowly he was starting to open up once more, talking and interacting with her. Eden had tried her best to take it all in her stride, planning everything more carefully to make sure that Luke was comfortable.

"Eden..." The woman turned, looking at her open study door as Luke peered around the corner, his dark hair was pulled back off his head by a hairband, having been skating with Jasper. "What's for dinner?"

"Uh, I'm not sure." Eden pulled her glasses off, saving the files on her computer. "Mom's coming round and she said she was bringing food. I'm surprised Jasper didn't tell you."

"He probably didn't know." Luke muttered, before shrugging. "I'm gonna take a shower."

"Sounds like a plan. Then after, you can tell me about training." Eden smiled gently, as Luke nodded.

"Sure thing, ma." He lifted his hand, shooting her a half-hearted wave, before leaving the study as Eden sighed and turned back to her work. She knew that Luke was just trying to process things, but it still hurt that she had broken the progress that they had achieved. 

"What do you think, Bradley?" Eden muttered, turning to look at her dog. The golden retriever lifted his head to look at her, before whining and letting his head fall back to his paws. "My thoughts exactly."

☾☼☽ 

"Mom." Eden opened the door, pressing a kiss to her mother's cheek and immediately taking the pots from her hand. "Hey, how are you?"

"Looking better than you. When was the last time you slept?" Macy reached up, resting a hand on her daughter's cheek and sighing. "You okay, sweetheart?"

"Long week. The job's been stressful and you know, it's been a wild week at home as well."

"Well, I'm here now and I'm gonna help however I can." Macy pinched her cheek before turning around. "Orion, stop trying to kill your brother!"

"When he stops being a prick, I will!" Orion's voice echoed across the driveway as he hopped into the house, his laces tied together. Jasper appeared, cackling behind him, though it soon turned pained as Eden reached out and kicked the back of his knees. He faceplanted onto the floor.

"Oops." Eden walked off before retaliation could be made, hurrying after her mother and sticking her middle finger up at her brother in the process.

"You're a-"