xxiii.

twenty-three ── father-son bonding

"𝕵eez, how are you so slow?" Luke called, glaring back at Hermes, who was meandering along behind him. "Could you go any slower?"

"Yes." Hermes nodded, deliberately slowing down more, as Luke growled and double back to shove his father in the back, trying to get him to go faster. Hermes just laughed. "Our seats aren't going anywhere."

"That's not the point. Hurry up!" Luke huffed, as Hermes finally started walking a little faster. "Aren't you the god of moving fast? Move faster!"

"Luke, we're an hour early. We're gonna get there on time."

"I want to watch warm ups and you're eating into that time." Luke scowled, as Hermes ruffled his hair. They were approaching Madison Square Garden, New York Rangers home arena, to watch a home game. This had been Hermes' early birthday treat to the boy, knowing that Luke wanted to go and see them again.

Luke's birthday was late March, pretty close to April Fool's day (which Hermes didn't think was a coincidence) but Hermes was taking Luke to the game towards the start of March, knowing that he would be busy later on. 

Over the past few months, Hermes had been taking the whole therapy thing seriously. He had been attending a mortal one, not wanting the other gods to know and latch onto this information, worried about how they would twist it. It had been a long process, including the fact that Hermes had to change all of his siblings and parent's names so that no one would get suspicious. 

They'd talked a lot about why Hermes was doing what he had, and the god was a little surprised to find that he had, in fact, learnt something. It had also miraculously helped his relationship with Luke, though his son would rather die than admit that he got on pretty well with his dad now. 

"Okay, tickets?" Hermes questioned, latching onto the back of Luke's Ranger's jersey before he could disappear into the arena. The teenager scowled, holding the tickets up, as Hermes steered him towards the snacks stand. "I want a drink, what do you want, bud?"

"Food."

"Got it." The pair got in line, before Hermes brought the pair drinks and food, managing to get to their seats. Hermes sank down, both of them watching the New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs warm up as they ate their hot dogs. "Who do you thinks gonna win, bud?"

"Well, Rangers, obviously." Luke rolled his eyes, as Hermes chuckled. "They've had a two game win streak against the Capitals and the Bruins, so I think that this game they're gonna do pretty well."

"Good roster?"

"Yeah, it's super good." Luke nodded, before going in depth and explaining it to Hermes, who was nodding and asking questions when he could get a word in edgeways, though Luke was just excited to be able to talk about his passions with his dad. The players skated off the ice, getting ready to actually start the game, as Luke went quiet.