Chapter Thirteen

Joni quickly took charge of the team. She was barking orders and testing everyone's limits in more ways than one. It should be obvious by now I don't take to following orders well. Authority figures and I don't mix, well I wasn't the only one having trouble. Dariyah also doesn't like someone barking orders at her. Let's just say our team dynamic needs some work.

Our opposing team is made up of a Shadow Caster, Charge Caster, Guard Caster, Water Caster, Force Caster, and an air caster. They look to be the best of buds already, joking and laughing with each other and horsing around. While our team is a stick in the mud.

Coach comes over to us to give us some pointers and run some drills. The other team gets the assistant coach as a helper.

"Alright, your teleporter should always be the flag grabber. In any game, it's always important to have at least one protector and one scout on your flag grabber. The rest will be base protectors. That being said, I won't tell you how to make your team strategy. But I suggest working amongst yourselves to select a team leader and form a good strategy."

"I can be team captain," Joni quickly volunteered.

"I want to be team captain," Dariyah countered.

Some of the other girls snorted in amusement at her.

She glared at them.

"Let's put it to a vote," Joni suggested.

"All in favor of Dariyah?" Coach asked.

Only I raised my hand, and I only did it because I don't want to get my face smashed in later.

"Whatever," Dariyah grumbled.

"Alright Joni, it's yours." Coach said.

We ran a few team drills and talked out some strategy, I swear I looked like a chicken with no head. I was even more lost than when I started. All I know is my job is to get the flag and teleport back to home base in one piece.

Seems simple enough.

Right?

In an hour or so we lined up for our first test run. On the first run, we are on our own, just to show the coaches what we can do. Then after they see us in action they will pull us out and start actually coaching us and helping us. Then we go for round two. After that is the first cut. We find out who comes back tomorrow.

"Okay, Dariyah and I stay on Emery. Everyone else protects the base." Joni orders. "Moriah and Jacquline are the first lines of defense. Elsah is the last line, put up a wall around the flag if you have to. Just don't let it get into that Shadow Caster's hands."

"Okay, are you ready?" Coach calls from the sidelines.

"Yes!" Both teams respond.

"Then, on your mark, get set, go!" she blows her whistle.

"Stay on me," Joni instructs.

We nod.

Dariyah quickly gets in front of me, to protect me. Her body glowing red. Joni uses a spell and her hair turns white along with her clothes. She blends in with the ice and snow.

"I'm going to go scout, stay together and back until I return." She says.

We nod.

She walks ahead and seamlessly blends in with the snow. After I few seconds my eyes can't even track her. Reality magic is so strange, I've never seen it in action before. Dariyah slowly inches ahead, I follow close behind.

God, it's freezing outside.

The field is a maze of ice pillars and sharp spears sticking out in every which way. I nearly impale myself when I stumble forward but Dariyah catches me and glares at me.