Chapter Thirty Seven

"You shouldn't be here..."

"The key is inside you now..."

"I don't want to die..."

"We can't trust her!"

"Don't trust..."

"Emery!"

I shoot awake in bed.

"Whoa, you okay?" Vega asks me.

I sigh in relief and lay back down, staring at the ceiling.

"Bad dream?"

I nod.

"Anything I can do to make it better?" she pulls me into her arms.

I turn to her and force a smile.

"It's almost time for the party, we can skip it if you want."

I shake my no.

"You sure?"

I nod.

She brushes my hair behind my ear.

I look into her deep blue eyes, she looks back into my eyes. As if we were both searching for answers to questions we haven't even asked yet. I move my hand to run my fingers through her silky black hair, she leans into my touch.

"Is it selfish of me to want to keep you here, all to myself for the rest of this night?" she whispers.

I shake my head no.

"Why not?"

How can it be selfish if two people want the same thing? We can't both be selfish, can we? Is it selfish of me to just want to stare at her radiant beauty for as long as physically possible? Is it selfish of me to want to touch her soft skin, silky hair, pillowy lips as often as I can? Am I selfish for wanting her all to myself?

I lean in and press my lips to hers; she pulls back after one kiss.

"We don't have a lot of time if you want to get to that party. And once you get me started, I won't want to stop." She rolls on top of me.

I run my hands up the back of her shirt, feeling her warm skin against my cold hands. I stop in the middle of her back, feeling the skin I know has her mark. To me, it always feels a little softer here.

"Are you sure you don't want to skip?" she asks.

I smirk before sitting up and pecking her on the lips and stretching.

"Worth a shot," she sighs.

We quickly get dressed and I grab all my gifts, I didn't get a chance to wrap them with everything. Oh well, it's the thought that counts right? Vega carries my whiteboard for me and holds my hand as we walk to the banquet hall.

Dariyah wasn't kidding though.

Nerissa really outdid herself.

It's beautiful! Lights are strategically placed everywhere. Enough to light the room in twinkling Christmas cheer. A huge tree in the middle of the room, all decorated with purple and silver ornaments. A huge star on the top of the tree. Soft holiday instrumental music in the background.

For food, Christmas cookies, cocoa, some marshmallow casserole thing, a glazed ham, sweet potatoes, and a bunch of other things. Somehow, she even got it to smell like Christmas in here. There is no other way to describe it. It smells like Christmas, that perfect mix of pine trees, baked goods, and wrapping paper.

I take a deep breath and breath it all in.

"What do you think?" Nerissa walks over to us.

And of course, she looks absolutely amazing. A figure complementing dark green dress/romper thing. It looked like a dress but is also a romper. My brain hurt looking at it. She has on a bright red belt and red earrings to complement the look. Not to mention her to die for red boots.