Chapter Nineteen

In a sudden, unplanned, and strange turn of events, the public was allowed to come to the showcase. Meaning outsiders, non-casters, were allowed in masses into Belmore for the first time, maybe ever.

The school was on full alert, full guard. Caster escorts led them to the performance field and the bleachers were filled up. The non-casters were put in their own section. I actually get to see my mom and brother before our planned meeting time.

As I was walking over to say hi to them, I passed by Asherah who was in a noticeably foul mood.

"This is my school, I make the final decisions here! I haven't broken any laws or rules, so get out of my face!" she shouted at a council member.

"Easy Ashy, easy," Cyrene patted her on the back, comforting her.

"This isn't the last of this! As soon as this is over, we will be holding a meeting!" The council member stormed off.

"What's going on?" I couldn't help but take the small detour.

Asherah huffed, the flowers on her winter sweater dress puffing up even more. The flower was like these little white pompoms, far away you wouldn't even be able to tell it was a flower.

"Let's just say the council is not happy about Asherah's spur of the moment idea," Cyrene rubs Asherah's shoulder.

"Honestly, I am the headmaster, not them. How are they going to tell me how to do my job." Asherah fumes.

"Easy girl, easy, just forget about it for now. We need this to go as smoothly as possible to prove you right. Focus on one thing at a time." Cyrene urges.

Asherah takes a deep breath to decompress and her flowers puff back down to normal.

"Atta girl."

"You're right, I have other things to worry about right now," Asherah says.

"So... you two made up?" I can't help but ask.

Immediately Cyrene pulls away from Asherah, they both avert their gaze to anywhere but me, and they both blush. Way to make it obvious.

"Go enjoy the festivities Emery," Asherah pushes me along.

"Okay," I eye them before walking off.

Lots of vendors came out to sell cocoa and popcorn and other snacks, even some go Belmore shirts that are black with the purple school emblem on them.

"Em!" Alec ran over to me and tackled me in a hug.

"Ugh, you're crushing me." I cough.

He giggles and hugs me harder.

"Alright, let her breath please." Mom chuckles.

"I knew you missed me," I give him a nuggy.

He groans and swats my hand away, quickly fixing his hair.

"Come here, oh my beautiful girl." Mom embraced me.

"We got some Belmore shirts, got to represent," Alec said, holding his up.

I giggle and nuzzle into mom.

I've missed her warmth so much.

"Are you going to sit with us?" mom pulled back.

I nod.

"Where are your friends?" Alec asks.

"Oh, they are over there, upfront. One of my friends, Bastion, is actually in the show. He's the fire Caster. He was actually like the first person I met on campus."