Chapter Twenty Eight

"More, I want to be blinded." Lorelei orders.

"I can't do more!"

"Yes you can, you're a star caster. The amount of energy you can control is far beyond any other caster. Besides me of course. This isn't anything."

The room is so bright I can't even see her anymore. God this is draining me fast.

"More!" she demands.

"I can't!"

"Maybe we should give her a break," Cyrene says somewhere in the room.

"More!"

I push with all my might, projecting my energy to its limits. But soon I find my limit and the light field is gone. I collapse on the floor, trying to catch my breath.

"You pushed her too hard!" Cyrene ran over to me.

Lorelei just stared down at me with an unreadable expression.

I struggled to get up, Cyrene has to help me sit up. Both she and Lorelei are wearing sunglasses. Extra dark tint for maximum eye protection.

Sweat drips down my face.

"You okay?" Cyrene asks me.

I feel lightheaded, pun not intended. When I try to speak my words slur together, a single drop of blood drips down my nose. I touch it with my finger.

Cyrene sighs.

"Take a break," Lorelei says before walking off.

"Uncalled for!" Cyrene shouts after her.

She waves her off and keeps walking.

"Come on," Cyrene helps me to my feet.

I nearly pass out were it not for Cyrene who catches me and teleports me to my room.

"Just take a nap, sleep it off. You'll recover in no time." She pats my shoulder.

"Ugh," I lay down.

"The task force wants a progress report on Friday. First thing in the morning. Just a heads up."

"Ugh," I cover my face with the invisible pillow.

Cyrene giggles at my funny-looking squished face.

"Tell your girlfriend you're cheating on her, obviously she suspects something, or she wouldn't be being such a—"

"I know, I know. I'm working on it."

"Work harder," I pout.

"I'll handle it, rest up." She ruffles my hair before teleporting away.

Sure, she'll "Handle it" yeah freaking right. Probably on her way to Asherah right now! Ugh!

I close my eyes and fatigue quickly takes me.

I wake up to someone brushing hair out of my face, I smile and open my eyes expecting Vega. Instead, I'm greeted with a nightmare, Dariyah.

I flinch and she snorts in amusement.

"What are you doing here!?" I sit up.

Ugh my head, I rub my head.

"I'm bored, entertain me," she whines.

"Where is Vega, how did you get in here!?"

"Stop asking stupid questions." She flicks me in the forehead.

"Ow," I rub my forehead.

"Vega is doing stupid Vice president stuff. Now entertain me."

"Get out!"