Chapter Forty

"The symbols appear all over the world, for the past 100 years. It's like some super-elite secret society. It's much bigger than we thought." Nerissa spreads out her proof on my bed.

Darko comes into the room with snacks. He's supposed to help us do some research and come up with theories and plans.

They are both really into it, but I can't seem to meet their energy. My mind is elsewhere. After my meeting with Asherah this morning, I'm worried about Cyrene. But more than that, I really want to see Vega. Asherah reminded me that tomorrow isn't promised and when you love someone you have to take today to be with them, to tell them.

I feel this knot in my gut and until I see Vega I know it won't just go away.

"Hello!? Are you even listening?" Nerissa snaps at me.

"Huh? Oh, yeah." I force myself to look at her proof.

"Maybe you just need some snacks to recharge." Darko hands me some cheese-flavored crackers.

I glance at my phone, usually, Vega would text by now. She told me she was going to be super busy today with vice president stuff, and not to expect her until late. But I really want to see her.

"Ugh!" Nerissa plops on the bed.

I look back at her.

"What?" I ask.

"Emery, you okay?" Darko asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just... distracted." I look back at my phone.

"Care to clue us in? Or am I expected to keep talking to the wall?"

"Cyrene isn't doing too good," I explain. "After my meeting with the council this morning I just feel anxious I guess. I really want to see Vega." I admit.

Nerissa rolls her eyes and even Darko frowns.

"What!?" I get defensive.

"Nothing," they say in unison.

"Okay, both of you had bad reactions, what was that about?" I demand.

"Forget it, it would just go in one ear and out the other," Nerissa says.

"Is it about Vega?"

They share a look.

"Tell me," I demand.

"Nothing, it's nothing. Just a personal opinion that I know for a fact you won't want to hear." Nerissa says.

"What is your deal with Vega!? Sure she's made mistakes but so have I. I love her and we are together so you better get used to her." I snap at her.

"You're too forgiving of her! She literally cheated on you, for weeks! She's always controlling every little thing you do. The girl is toxic." Nerissa says.

"I hate to say it, but I agree with her," Darko says.

"Unbelievable." I shake my head. "Also, thanks for telling me she was cheating on me. Real pals."

"We didn't know!" Nerissa says.

"Bullshit!"

"We only suspected, and even if we did tell you, would you have listened?" Darko challenges.

I look away from them.

"Emery, Vega is a really good liar. For weeks she was lying to you about where she was and what she was doing. How can you just believe everything she says? How can you just trust her again so easily?" He pushes.

"Because I love her!" I shout.

"And that love blinds you to her behavior. That's all we are saying." Nerissa says.