Chapter Twenty Seven

"What's wrong? You've been acting weird since earlier." Vega pulls me into her arms.

I hug the invisible pillow close to my chest.

"Tell me," she brushes my hair away from my neck and kisses the skin softly. It gives me chills.

After lunch, I went to do some more training but Cyrene was already gone with Asherah, so I just practiced by myself. Stewing on what I saw. In the end, I couldn't focus enough to even get one more spell right.

So I came back to my room to shower and relax. When I came out of the shower, Vega was waiting for me on my bed. Must remember to get that spare key from her. Her popping in all the time is starting to feel suffocating, and I'm the one who can teleport!

"I had another vision, in the cafeteria," I admit.

"About?"

"You, me, Nerissa. We were fighting. Nerissa said I couldn't trust you in my vision. It reminded me of my very first vision, of myself warning me not to trust someone."

"You think I'm that person?"

"I don't know," I turn in her arms to face her. "I don't want you to be. Tell me it's not true." I plead.

"You know it's not. Look into my eyes. You know more about me than any of my past girlfriends. I trust you, don't you trust me?"

"I do," I whisper. That's why I'm terrified. Because I really, really, really don't want it to be true.

Then again, what has she done to make me not trust her? What could she be hiding from me? She even told me about her traumatizing past, basically telling me her ultimate weakness. Why would she tell me that if there was a chance she would betray me and I would have to use that info against her later? She wouldn't, I'm just being crazy. No way it's true.

"Then okay. You trust me, I trust you, that's all that matters. Remember we still don't know what these visions really are. They could be projections of your own fears. Yourself telling you not to trust anyone in a school where you know no one and when you were previously strongly against Casters? Doesn't seem like a stretch. Then that vision about Dariyah, after you lost control of your powers. Does it seem like a stretch to fear you might accidentally get someone killed when you can't control your powers?"

"Well when you put it that way," I say.

"All I'm saying is don't jump to conclusions when you don't even know what these visions are or where they come from. I've been nothing but honest with you, have I not?"

"Of course you've been honest, and I love that you've been able to open up and share so much with me," I say.

"Okay then, so believe in that. Believe in the here and now, and what's real."

"You're right... I'm sorry. I just got freaked out." I look down in shame for ever doubting her.

"It's okay," she caresses my cheek. "We'll get through this." She whispers.

I look up and meet her eyes.

"I love you," she says so softly that my ears strain to hear it.

I lean in and our lips meet in a soft kiss. Her hand slides down my cheek to my neck. When we break apart for a second she takes in a quick breath before sucking my bottom lip gently into her mouth. I let out a soft mew in pleasure and deepen the kiss.

That's when I feel her hand grab the necklace I had totally forgotten was around my neck.

We pull back.

"What is this?" she pulls the crystal out of my shirt.

"Nothing, it's stupid." I yank it off and throw it somewhere in my room.