Chapter Thirty One

My new room assignment is two buildings down from my current dorm. Cyrene couldn't talk Asherah out of it, but apparently, someone volunteered to let me stay with them. I was apprehensive at first, but once I found out who it was, I was ticked.

I dragged my bag and first box of stuff to my new dorm, an RA gave me a key and led the way, but the door was already open. And Someone was moving their stuff out into the hall. I eyed the scene in confusion before I approached the open door.

"Where's my blender?" a voice asked.

"Under the sink, to the left," Joni said from a couch.

All the hairs on my arm stood up.

I stepped inside and cleared my throat.

Joni looked up from her phone and Mesmira popped up from behind the sink counter.

"Hey new roomie," Joni got up to greet me.

"What's going on?" I take a step back from her.

"Well we heard about your uh... predicament and Mesmira volunteered to take your old room, and since I now had an empty room to fill I said you could stay here. I'm used to having a roommate anyway."

"Uh... thank you..." I eyed the two of them.

"No probs, let me help you." Joni took the box out of my hands and led me to my new room.

"She just did that to be closer to Vega didn't she," I say once we are alone in the room.

"Yep. But no worries. I'm sure it will be fine."

I sigh.

Just fantastic.

As soon as I text Vega my new room number, she's here in seconds flat. Knowing the room number by memory already. Mesmira and I go back and forth, her moving things to my room, me moving things to hers.

"Well if it isn't my bff Vega," Joni announces as I move another box to my room.

Mesmira was on her way out but at the mention of Vega, she tripped and dropped a box. Vega ignored Joni, and Mesmira and came over to me.

I pouted at her, obviously in distress at my new situation. She pulled me into her arms.

"I hate this," I bury my head into her chest.

"Me too." Vega rested her head on top of mine.

"It wasn't even our fault." I pout.

"I know." She rubs my back.

"I'm sorry, I know this sucks for you."

She sighs.

"On the bright side, this place is like a mini apartment, so we'll still have some privacy," I say to cheer her up.

It has no effect.

I'm sure she's had some "privacy" moments in this room before. I wonder if being here reminds her of those moments.

"Hey," Mesmira pops her head into the room, interrupting our moment.

I hold Vega even tighter, preventing her from turning to Mesmira.

Vega smirks at me and pets my head, before kissing my forehead.

I pout.

"I said hey," Mesmira says when we still haven't acknowledged her.

"Kind of in the middle of something," Vega says without turning to her.

"Take the hint," I snap at her.