Chapter Seventeen

I can't believe she's canceling the rest of the session, and just when I thought we were getting somewhere. I wonder if it has to do with Cyrene. I hope not, because that is going to get ugly and make things very awkward for me.

As I'm speed walking back to Lorelei's classroom I see Nerissa hiding behind a tree, spying on someone. Not just anyone, it's Lorelei! Lorelei is on her phone, in a heated discussion with someone, pacing back and forth from the building, probably waiting for me to get there so she can lock up.

I watch Nerissa cast a spell that puts a dark shadow spot on the tree she is hiding behind. She puts her ear up to it, next to Lorelei a similar dark spot appears on the building, blending in with the shadow of the crystal lantern.

She's totally eavesdropping! What gives!? That's an invasion of privacy. I mean Lorelei may not be the nicest, but that's no reason to spy on her. Rude. Nerissa has been acting so weird lately. She's way out of line.

I march right over to her.

"What are you doing!?" I demand.

The spell quickly disappears and she grabs me and covers my mouth, forcing me behind the tree with her.

"Shh!" she hisses.

"Let go of me!" I whisper.

We stand still for a moment, I noticed I don't hear Lorelei speaking anymore.

"You freaking idiot, you almost ruined everything," she hisses.

"What are you doing?" I whisper.

She cast a new spell, makes a triangle shape with her fingers, a shadow appears in the space. We both look into it, and I can see Lorelei through a shadow veil, looking around in suspicion before hanging up the phone.

"Dariyah is right, you are a moron," Nerissa snaps at me.

"You still haven't explained what you are doing." I point out.

"What's it look like," she closes the spell.

I get a text on my phone from Lorelei,

'You are taking too long, I have to go. You'll just have to get your stuff tomorrow.'

I peek around the tree and watch her lock up the building and stomp off. Nerissa peeks over my shoulder.

"Why are you spying on her?" I ask.

"Someone has to get to the bottom of things around here, and since you aren't helping, then I have to do everything myself." She says in frustration.

"You think Lorelei has something to do with what's happening to me and what's going on around here?" I look back at her and cross my arms.

"I don't think, I know." She looks me in the eyes.

She's serious.

She thinks she has something on Lorelei.

"Prove it," I challenge.

"Come on," she grabs my arm.

She cast a spell and a large shadow appears under us. We sink down into it, and grow and appear in Lorelei's now dark classroom.

I quickly go for my stuff.

"Leave it," she slaps my hand. "We don't want her knowing we were in here." She says.

I pout and cradle my hand.

She quickly goes over to the desk and starts snooping around.

"You still haven't told me anything." I point out.