epilogue

Although the land was draped in hues of grey, white and blue and the stars felt distant in the coldness of winter, sunsets brought in illuminating shades of pink, orange and fiery red, warming not only the atmosphere, but the hearts of all.

Choi Jangmi watched as the sun descended slowly, engulfing the nation in its warmth, condensing her glorious rays, making way for nightfall.

The corners of her lips twitched upwards as she felt a small kick from the innermost depths of her stomach, still powerful enough to feel the sensation. Lovingly, she rubbed her belly, a few layers of skirt covering her skin, but the bump was still visible.

She had discovered that she had outgrown a vast majority of her hanboks, and many new ones had to be crafted for her, something that would both fit her as well as the baby.

"Do you like the sunset, little one?" She whispered, her doe eyes still trained upon the fading rays of light. "I promise I'll show it to you, but you have to promise that you won't be too painful, okay?"

As though responding, another kick was sent Jangmi's way, as she shook her head, her smile still on her lips.

"Where is your father?" She mumbled. "He has been gone since morning,"

Suddenly, the sound of seven pairs of feet brought the Empress's attention to the door of the library, where she had been admiring the final lights of day.

The Emperor and his six brothers came in, bags in their hands, chatting as they greeted the girl.

"You all promised to be back before the sun set," Jangmi scrunched her nose. "It's setting,"

"Ask your husband why we're late!" Jin pointed at the Emperor who simply hugged his wife from behind, placing a loving peck on her cheek.

The Choi girl spun round, facing Yoongi, whose scar shone in the final hours of day. "What did you do?"

He looked slightly offended. "Why do you automatically assume that I did something- "

"What did he do?" Jangmi turned back to face the boys, some of whom were chuckling at the turn out of events.

"He er... he bought..." Jungkook glanced nervously at the Emperor, who was signalling for the youngest boy to stop talking.

The Empress took a few steps closer to the Jeon boy, who gulped. "Jungkook-ah, what did he buy?" Her tone was intimidating, and Jungkook knew he had no way out of this one.

"He bought a horse for the baby," He spluttered, before hiding behind Jimin and Taehyung, who cackled at the sight before them.

The Emperor was in big trouble.

Yoongi laughed nervously as his wife approached him, an unimpressed, furious expression on her face. His mother-in-law as well as Namjoon had informed him that pregnant women experienced multiple mood swings, and he knew them to be true, especially with his normally sweet wife's unexpected rages.

"Min Yoongi," The Empress said in a deadly tone. "Why on earth would you buy a horse for a child that isn't even born yet? Are you insane?"

"Well, I thought- "

"No! You didn't think. What's the child going to do? Learn how to ride the horse when it's only a few weeks old? Or even better, when it's a few days old?"

As Jangmi continued to scold her husband for his ridiculous purchases, Hoseok slipped Namjoon a few coins.

"Thank you," The Kim boy muttered, the Jung rather disappointed.

"I thought she would like the idea of a horse for the baby,"

"Obviously not,"

Yet, as the amber glow faded, a blanket of blue and grey enveloping the sky, the stars and moon smiled warmly at the eight, soon to be nine. They were truly blessed with each other.

All was well.