Chapter 6 - Just Another Nightmare

The next morning I woke with blood pulsing through the vein protruding from my neck and sweat dampening my palms. I let out a low scream as my hands reached for the trigger of my combat pistol on the bedside table.

Just another nightmare.

I'd been having a lot of them since Amanda and the kids left me, the gods honest truth being that I'm just too terrified to be alone and my fear of not knowing the outcome of the rest of my life is starting to consume me. My greatest fear is oblivion. It sounds strange considering I'm a retired bank robber. The big thing about a score is that you never know the outcome, but at the same time you do; you live or you die.

My life is the only mystery worth solving now.

I shrugged on my grey suit, drank my morning whiskey and left that lonely house. Behind all the heartache I was having from Amanda, I still couldn't get Marnie off my mind. Any woman I come across I could usually forget quickly, but with Marnie, even after those brief 10 minutes, she was a hard girl to forget.

I drove to the Epsilon building down the street to find a bunch a people crowded round in baby blue polo shirts playing some weird music. I drove to the main gate.

"Michael De Santa, uhh... I think I have an appointment with someone here at 9:30?" I said, glancing at the clock in my car, 9:29...close one.

"Kifflom, Brother Brother." Said the security guard at the main gate.

"You're here to see Jimmy Boston, please drive through, enter the main building and take a left. You should find your way to him from there."

I nodded and took a deep breath as I pulled into a parking space. This was going to be a long day.