Chapter 13 - Night of Broken Pictures

I stormed back into the house; fists clenched so tightly that my knuckles turned a sickly shade of white. I hunted for my phone, ready to give my shit-stain of a son a piece of my mind. 

After pulling out the sofa cushions I found it covered in bits of fluff and god knows what else. As I scrolled through my phone trying to find Jimmy's number, Marnie put her hand gently on my arm.

"Michael, don't call him. It's not going to make things better." She said softly, her lips brushing lightly across my ear as she spoke. 

"But it'll make me feel a hell of a lot better." I replied, resisting the urge to punch a wall.

"Maybe now. But think about the future, Michael. He's still your son." Marnie intertwined her fingers with mine. Her hands were warm and soft, and that's when I realised that I wasn't okay.

I sat down on the couch and put my head in my hands; my eyes were stinging and slightly damp. I didn't want my kids to hate me. This was never what I'd wanted. Marnie sat down next to me and placed her arm around my shoulders. She pulled me close to her and stroked my hair in an attempt to comfort me.

"Why does it hurt so much? I know they don't care."

"That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt." She said, then paused, "I think you need a new outlet for your emotions. The therapy clearly isn't doing you much good." She smiled slightly, bringing her face close to mine.

"I think you're right..." I mumbled, "Yeah, you are right. I need a different kind of therapy." I stood up a little too quickly, making Marnie jump backwards a little in shock. I went over to the bookcase in the back of the room and picked up a framed picture of Amanda.

"Michael?..." Was all Marnie could say before I threw the frame to the ground. They cost a fortune because, of course, Amanda had to have the best. I raised my foot above the frame, looking at the picture for a second. 

"I think I have a better idea than therapy." I grinned before slamming my shoe into the glass. It made an audible shattering sound that was definitely satisfying. I removed my foot to see a mess of broken glass and splintered wood where Amanda's stupid face was. 

"That's not exactly what I had in mind...but sure, go wild." She laughed as she walked over to me, looking at the pictures on the shelves. I picked up a family picture and stared at how happy we all used to be back when Tracey and Jimmy were just kids, and Amanda was getting everything she wanted. Before I could let go of the frame, Marnie grabbed my wrist.

"Are you sure you wanna do that? Think of the future Michael." Marnie said in a slightly chastising tone.

"Amanda made sure we have a bunch of copies of all pictures. It's all good." I said grinning as I threw the frame to the ground and stamping on it. I repeated this process for a long time. Amanda really loved her pictures. I looked over to Marnie,

"Wanna try?" I asked, holding a photo frame out to her.

"Sure," She smirked, taking the frame from my hand, "But why don't you try this?" She said before launching the frame at the wall.

"I'll give it a shot." I winked at her before launching another photo at the wall.

We continued this until there were no pictures left in the living room except the large portrait that was hanging on the wall. We didn't have any extras of those so I simply took it down and left it facing the wall. 

"Thank you for today. I had a great time." Marnie said as I turned to face her.

"What? Learning about my super dysfunctional family?" I laughed.

"I liked getting to know the real you." She smiled a most sincere and beautiful smile that made my heart melt.

I had too. Now could be my only chance.

I crossed the room and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her body close to mine. I took a deep breath and stared into her eyes.

"Marnie Allen, you are the most beautiful girl I have ever met."

I pressed my lips to hers and closed my eyes. In that moment everything felt so wonderful. The sweet smell of peaches filled my airways, and her soft lips moulded so perfectly to mine. After what seemed like an eternity I pulled away to see her sweet smile looking back at me.

"Sorry, I can't give you a ride home." I grinned before pressing my lips back to hers. 

Clearly, one eternity wasn't enough.

{A/N: merry christmas!! i hope you all have a wonderful time!!xo -sophie+chloe}