Til Death

Crosshair tossed another annoyed glare over his shoulder as Tech brushed past him. It had only been a few months since he had come back to his old squad. Everyone, including Hunter, had seemed to have forgiven him except Tech. Crosshair had refused to talk to Tech for weeks in response, his first words actually speaking directly to the genius being on the accusing side.

"Still acting like a child, hm? For someone as intellectual as yourself, I expected less immature behavior," he called to his brother, hoping for a reaction.

Tech spun around at the comment, pointing a finger in Crosshair's face. "Immature? Says the one who stayed with the Empire willingly even after having the inhibitor chip removed, or were you just afraid of losing the little bit of authority you had there?"

Crosshair threw down his weapon that he had been cleaning to meet Tech's goggled eyes.

"Maybe if you all had come back for me sooner instead of holding my spot with some child—"

Tech cut him off. "Don't you dare bring Omega into this. It was your own fault that you still tried to gun us down when there were completely open times where you could have approached us, like on Ryloth or Daro."

"You really think it would be that easy," Crosshair met his tone, "Maybe I should have stayed with the Empire after all," he muttered.

"Perhaps it would have been for the best?" Tech agreed to which Crosshair shoved him against the wall of the Marauder, jabbing a finger into his chest.

"Perhaps I should have aimed for your heart back on Bracca," he growled before letting his brother go.

Tech stood taller as the sniper went back to cleaning his prized gun. "I guess you never changed," he spat as he left for the cockpit, leaving Crosshair with the hurtful words lingering in the back of his mind.

     Crosshair ducked just as a blaster bolt came inches away from his head. He turned to meet the person responsible, shooting the stormtrooper right in the face.

"How many more do you have?" Wrecker shouted over to Hunter.

Hunter pulled his knife out of a white armored man. He glanced up to see from a far a new wave of troopers coming to their position. He sighed, tired of the constant running and fighting with the Empire. To them, it was all a game, while he was trying to keep his squad safe from their sights.

"We got some new ones. Wrecker, take Omega back to the ship. Tech, Echo, Crosshair and I will meet you both there," he ordered.

"No! I don't need to—" Omega began to protest.

"Omega, please don't argue right now. Go back to the ship." Hunter watched her face fall with disappointment.

Tech stopped her for a brief second as she started to walk back. "If you study the flying manual and go over the instruments, we'll see about starting flying lessons tomorrow."

A smile returned to her lips. "Really?! I'll go read it right now!" She raced ahead of Wrecker who jogged after her. They disappeared just in time as the new set of TK troopers arrived.

"I'm starting to get real tired of these guys," Echo grumbled, taking out his blaster.

"Isn't everyone?" Hunter agreed, following the reg's action.

Crosshair took his spot some distance away from the commotion. He knelt down on a knee as the enemy came into his view. They didn't even have a second to know who hit them as they fell. He didn't know why, but seeing the troopers die painfully made lips curve into a smile from under his helmet. It was a form of therapy for him, he guessed. Payback for the Empire keeping him as a pet against his will. Their numbers began to dwindle. In a few more minutes the fight would be over. Crosshair stood up from his position, taking the time to reload his sniper, unaware that he made himself a defenseless target for a lucky shiny.

"CROSSHAIR!" He heard someone shout as a loud bang rang out, followed by a pained grunt.

Crosshair shook his head as he rolled over to see Tech next to him on the ground, blood beginning to seep out of a smoking hole in his chest.

"NO!" The marksman yelled, quickly turning and killing the one who committed the act. He tossed his sniper aside and pulled his dying vod away from the battle field.

"Tech!" He ripped his helmet off, doing the same for his brother. "Tech, why would—Ugh! Why would you do that!" He carefully removed his chest armor to get a better look of the damage. It was bad. Really bad.

"He was- going to shoot you," Tech rasped after a bit, catching his breath mid sentence.

"You didn't have to jump in front of it you idiot," Crosshair wanted to be furious, but he couldn't hold his anger against him. He pressed his hands against Tech's chest, trying to stop the bleeding.

Tech gently moved them aside. "I-I'm not going t-to make it," he whispered hoarsely as the taste of blood filled his mouth.

"No, you're going to make it!" Crosshair raised his voice, refusing to believe that his younger brother was giving up so soon.

"Crosshair, p-please. The f-facts say otherwise."

"I don't care about the facts! Y-You're going to—" A warm hand wiped away a tear he didn't know was trailing down his face, leaving a red stain in the shape of a finger.

"I'm sorry for how I treated you...I didn't mean to..." His head began to loll. Crosshair bit his tongue, trying to keep it together. It couldn't end like that. Not after the argument hours earlier.

"I'm the one who should be sorry. You had every right to be mad at me," He swallowed hard, "You can't die. Not now. I need you."

Tech looked at his brother's pained eyes, his own were becoming heavy. His chest was on the verge of exploding. He knew he only had a few moments left. He wished that he had forgiven Crosshair sooner, given him a chance to explain. He was so caught up with his past actions, that he had forgotten about what it was actually like for his brother to be held under the Empire's terror. It wasn't his fault, but he had realized that too late.

"I'm sorry...for not...believing you," he gasped, "I—" His voice trailed off.

"Tech?" Crosshair shook his limp body. "Tech, wake up. This isn't funny!" He shook him more harshly, but yet he didn't stir. "For kriff sakes, wake up!" He shouted, hearing footsteps rushing towards them.

"Crosshair what's wrong? Why didn't..." Hunter stopped in his tracks. His knife fell to the ground beside him with a clatter as he fell to his knees.

Echo came up last. He took his helmet off, looking away from the sight. Another brother, lost to the cruel galaxy. To the Empire.

Hunter placed a hand on Crosshair's shoulder, pulling him away from Tech's frozen bloodied form. "We need to leave before the Empire sends more troops."

Crosshair didn't say a word as he picked up the body. The shot was made for him, yet he was alive. He would make sure every man dressed in that white armor would die a most excruciating death. He clutched Tech closer as he slid his helmet over his head to cover the tears that were flowing down his face. As long as he lived, he wouldn't lose anymore of his siblings. He would make sure of it, no matter the cost.

It snowedddddd. Well more like slush, but its better than nothing for my state. Hopefully after it freezes the hills will be slippery enough for sledding lmao. Happy Sunday!