15

Christmas day went off without a hitch

Christmas day went off without a hitch. They spent the day together inside. They had breakfast together and dinner. It was a wonderful meal that Mrs Hayes had cooked and they went for a little walk between the houses.

When it got to six, it was time to exchange gifts. "I didn't know we were doing this. I feel really bad," Aurora announced when Mr and Mrs Hayes presented her with a few gifts.

"Don't you do this at home?" Mr Hayes asked.

"No. I can't remember the last time I spent Christmas with my parents. They were never there. It was just me and my nanny and we'd just play games all day or read books or watch our favourite films. You really shouldn't have got me anything," Aurora thought back on past Christmases.

"Don't be silly! Everyone deserves a little something. Besides, I've loved spending time with you. Think of that as your gift to me," Mrs Hayes smiled.

"Thank you," Aurora sucked her tears back.

Mr Hayes helped Mrs Hayes into her coat. "We're off to see the Copperfields. We won't bore you with the event, no one your age is ever there and when we do bring Weston, all he does is complain."

"You won't be missing anything. Trust me," Weston piped up from the floor.

"Ah, well, have fun. Thank you for today."

When Mr and Mrs Hayes left, Aurora went up to her room. She hadn't had a real conversation with Weston all day. Not since the night before. If Weston wasn't going to be the first person to say something then she would be.

She grabbed Weston's present from under her bed, walked to his room and knocked on the door.

"Come in."

Aurora closed the door behind her,

"What brings you here princess?" He was laid on his bed.

"I have a gift for you," she placed it on the end of the bed and sat on top of his desk.

Weston sat up and rattled the object. "I thought you don't do gifts."

"It's nothing much," her hands shrunk into the sleeves of her jumper.

He got up and stood in between her legs. He unwrapped the paper to reveal a box. Inside the box was a deformed cup painted in black.

"Look at the base," she pointed out.

He turned the cup upside and read: Created by Aurora, ruined by Weston.

"I wouldn't say I ruined it."

She raised her eyebrows. "Well, you did. It's yours now. I expect all of your drinks to be drunk from that."

"Thanks," Weston kissed her forehead and put the cup on his bedside table. He opened a drawer and pulled out a velvet box. "Surely you didn't think that I didn't get you anything?"