XIX

April 1st
7:34 pm

Omniscient

Many years prior

Many years prior...

"Alright, all I have left to do is check your vitals and stuff and then I'll be out of your hair." Cassia smiled to Cepheus who lazily laid in his hospital bed. Pulling his bottom lip into his mouth, he quickly reached his hand out before she could make her way around the room, knowing she would be quick and he didn't want that. He just wanted her company, since he would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy it.

"Why you always tryna run out on a nigga and shit, I don't bite...unless-."

"Mr. Emerson." She sighed, causing him to let out a harsh cough to refrain from laughing. But he ended up doing so anyways from the look on her face, his grasp on her arm only tightening because he knew she would try and go away.

"Okay, I'm sorry baby damn. But just chill, I'm only tryna talk to you and you back with that Mr. Emerson shit. We can have normal conversations..." Cepheus slowly nodded his head until Cassia finally did the same, reluctantly nodding her head also before he let go of her with a small smile lining his lips. Once that she eventually mirrored, because she did like talking to him, feeling like she had somewhat of a friend at work aside from Jamila.

"Okay well...what's your biggest fear?" Cassia smiled, maneuvering around the bed to make sure all of his vitals were good. Following her around the room with his eyes, Cepheus slowly ran his tongue over his lips. Both in thought and admiring how beautiful she looked, Cassia never failing to capture his full attention whether she was dressed up like he one time seen before, or simply in her scrubs rocking her natural hair and a bare face.

"Biggest fear...I don't know, probably my family and friends being targeted because of the shit I do on a day to day basis. I mean I don't fuck with that many people, but you know especially-."

"Your daughter?" Cassia cut in, causing Cepheus to nod his head just as she tapped his arm to get him to raise it. Sighing, she pulled his blanket down a little bit so she could rewrap his wounds. "That must be a blessing and a curse though, a curse because of the possibility of something happening to her. But also a blessing because I mean all kids are blessings, it's so heartwarming since I mainly work in the maternity ward aside from my time with you, and seeing the parents faces light up once they see their baby for the first time is beautiful." Cassia smiled, but Cepheus could read through it.

Grabbing her wrist to stop her from peeling away the first bandage, he waited until her eyes were on his to begin speaking. "You don't have kids?" Rubbing her lips together, Cassia shook her head no.

"My husband doesn't want any so...no." Furrowing his eyebrows with his lips slightly parted in confusion, Cepheus only scoffed while releasing her wrist.