Chapter 2

Aria walked down the stairs from her room, rubbing her eyes as she blurrily trudged ahead. She reached the landing to see the staff busily carrying out their jobs. She stood there for a moment, taking in the hubbub so foreign to her in her lonely lifestyle of the city life, before she looked up at a greeting.

"Aria! Here, do you want coffee?" So-ra called her cheerfully from the kitchen, where 2 more girls smiled at her.

The word coffee got Aria's feet moving forward before she could voluntarily decide on her action.

That was the pull caffeine had on her.

Reaching So-ra, she took the cold brew handed to her and hugged the older woman, who laughed and hugged her back.

"Goodmorning little angel, did you sleep well? You were beat when you arrived." So-ra soothingly rubbed Aria's back.

Aria had arrived late last night. She had inhaled the delicious dinner put before her and then blindly followed So-ra to her room to face plant on the soft bed.

"Yes I did." She replied. Then taking a step back and sipping her americano, she sighed in bliss before telling the older woman, "Thank you for tucking me in So-ra. The bad tendency I have usually results in a stiff body for me."

So-ra appeared a little puzzled, "What?"

Aria went to take seat on the dinning table as she picked up an apple from the fruit basket, "I mean, I passed face down on the bed with no blankets. That usually gives me a neck crick and stiff body from the cold air." she munched on the juicy fruit, "So thank you for turning me, putting a pillow under my head and covering me. Us single, relationship less and sibling less girls never take these small gestures for granted." She winked.

So-ra's smile appeared to be a little strained, "Aria, I never went in your room after guiding you and bidding you goodnight."

Aria paused for a moment, then shrugging she kept on eating her apple, "Then I must have finally become responsible enough to do that on my own in my sleep. Proud of me."

So-ra said nothing. It was no secret that Aria was a deep and heavy sleeper, rarely getting up or moving around on the bed once she had succumbed to it. Her getting up, climbing up the bed, positioning her head on the pillow, then unfolding the blanket to pull it over could not happen without her remembering it.

"Miss, what would you like for breakfast?" the girl in the kitchen asked gaily.

Hearing that, Aria jumped to her feet, eyes wide with excitement, "No no, I am skipping that. Could 2 or 3 of you come with me now? I am opening the attic. I might need assistance against the heavy dust sure to be present."

So-ra smiled at her excitement, knowing it had been her childhood dream to explore that space. She shook her head indulgently and instructed the 2 maids, "Go with her."

"Okay! Meet me there, let me go get the key!" Aria sped out from the kitchen.

"Maam?" So-ra looked at one of the maid standing in front of her.

"Should we stay with her throughout?"

So-ra and the other maid understood the underlying question.

"Don't really think there is any need for it. If she asks, then do so."

"Ready! Lets go!"

They turned to see Aria racing towards the west wing, where the stairs towards the attic was. Her enthusiasm made even the maids smile.

Aria made her way through the huge manor, passing corridors, stairs and rooms, to reach a wooden door.

She waited for the 2 maids to catch up to her and then opened the door to reveal the spiraling stone steps in the narrow space, going up.