Chapter 5

I  felt happy as the night breeze whipped my hair around my face.
     "I told you, K. My idea was going to work out just fine."
  Charlie laughed, excitedly just as he had been doing ever since we stepped out of the câfe.
     "I know, Char, and I love you so much.''
   I stopped to peck him on his lips, not thinking about it.
      He cleared his throat, looking embarrassed, and straightened his shirt.
         "Enough, K. We're on the road."
      I rolled my eyes.
       "Okay, grumpy."

     "So, you're going to withdraw the money or what?''
   Charlie glanced at me as we stopped by the swinging glass doors that led into the bank.
   "Oh no. I need to give them cash." I smiled.
  "Cocky,'' he muttered, smiling back at me.
       Charlie hugged me briefly before opening the door.
   I stepped in and he blew me a quick kiss before walking away.

        I smiled, excited as I stepped into the waiting room in the hospital.
  I mean, don't get me wrong. There was nothing exciting about a waiting room in a hospital. Nothing, I tell you but knowing that I had more hope than ever tonight made me smile.
       A few minutes later, I paced the waiting room, anxious, knowing I was gonna cause a scene soon.
If they didn't let me go see the doctor.
   A nurse walked up to me with a small smile.
    "Follow me," she muttered, already walking ahead of me.

         She stopped by the nurses' station and the two nurses standing behind looked up at us.
     The first nurse smiled, encouragingly and the nurse that led me there walked away.
    "Hello, and how may I help you?"
    "Good evening."
    "I'm Kesha Ravi Raymond and I'm here to make payment for Violet Ravi. Ward 13.''
       "Give me a second,'' the second nurse mumbled rudely as she skimmed her eyes over the ledger in front of her.
   I waited patiently and hummed silently.

   She frowned. Then beckoned to her partner to take a look at the ledger in front of them.
    I became worried by the confused looks on their faces but still maintained my smile.
      My mom was going to get better and no one could steal my happiness.
        "Um..." The smiling nurse broke off and looked up at me.
   "There's no Violet Ravi here.''
  My smile dropped and I blinked.

            "Excuse me?"
      "I mean, the only Violet Ravi has been signed out eight hours earlier,'' the second nurse piped up, gleefully.
   I scowled at her.
    She didn't have to be a bitch like she was, right now.
     I shook my head, knowing they were screwed in the head or something.
      "No. You're wrong. I'm her daughter. Her closest and only surviving family."
      Take that, Dad.
     It couldn't be Charlie. Charlie had been with me in the câfe throughout and we closed together. He just went home for fuck sake.

      "I'm sorry... there must be a mistake," I insisted stubbornly because it had to be.
    "Okay, miss. How about you go see the doctor?'' The second nurse drawled, looking fed up with my drama.
    I nodded and left after she gave me the description of the doctor's office.
    I climbed the stairs hastily, breathing erratically as I felt panic close in on me, so hard I was afraid I would pass out any moment from now.
    Okay, Kesha. Breathe.
      I rapped softly on the door and stepped in without waiting for a response.

       A man that seemed to be in his early thirties, glanced up from the computer on his table and gave me a strange look.
    "I didn't say you could come in!"
          "Good evening. I'm Kesha Ravi Raymond and I'm here for the patient in ward 13. Violet Ravi, '' I replied, ignoring his comment.
     Did I care I was rude right now? I would be more than rude if someone didn't tell me where my mother was right now!
       He glanced at his desk and then at me, before returning his gaze to his computer.
        "Are you a relation of the patient?"
    The room was so silent I could hear every single fucking key he clicked.