Chapter 20

I threw on a black T-shirt and black shorts. Did I mention I loved, loved black?

  So, today happened to be the D-Day. The soccer game. Where it all started.
  And Sapphira had been hounding me to hurry up in the past five minutes.
   "Kesha?" She yelled as she snatched her purse off her desk.
   I rolled my eyes.
   "I am in the same room with you. Why do you have to yell?" I snapped back, getting irritated.
   I was already worked up as it was and Sapphira was doing a beautiful job by putting more pressure on me.
   I mean, I was the one who was asked to the game and she had all but taken over my life.
    "Babe, hurry the hell up and stop asking me questions!"
    She yanked the door open.

     "I am coming. I'm coming, ugh!"
   I hissed and stuffed my phone into my shorts before trailing after her.
   We marched quickly into the bleachers and managed to find empty seats in the front row.
   I panted, catching my breath.
  "I am... never doing that again,'' I muttered, referring to the race Sapphira just forced me to participate in.  
   Ugh. I didn't know if anyone knew this but I wasn't a sports person. Not now. Not ever.
  "We will, if next time we aren't on time,'' she chided and turned away as the whistle sounded, signaling the players to gather around.

  I glanced around the field just as Sapphira voiced out my observation.
   "Miguel isn't here.''
  "Yes. I can see that,'' I said, through gritted teeth.
To say I was disappointed... but of course, this was Miguel. I shouldn't expect less.
   Sapphira glanced at me.
  "Don't worry, Kesh. He'll be here."
  I glanced at the entrance. I spotted Jacqueline. That's when I saw Miguel coming in.
   I watched him with my eyes narrowed into slits, already regretting why I said yes.
  Her eyes fell on me and she turned back to him, smiling.
  She kissed him and walked away.

   That's when he noticed me. I rolled my eyes and looked away.
  Soon, the game started.
  I watched, half interested, half distracted. The sun was up today and my skin was burning.
   Both teams had 1-1. That was good, at least, nobody was on the losing side, yet.
  I screwed my eyes shut from the effect of the sun.
  "Are you okay?'' Sapphira whispered, sounding concerned.

  "Not really."
    I groaned just as a whistle sounded.
  "Okay, hold on. I'ma go get my sunburn cream.'' 
   She stood and walked away.
  "So, I see you showed up."
   I rolled my eyes and met Miguel's gaze.
    Believe me, I was already regretting coming here.

  "Sapphira really didn't give me much of a choice.''
   I scoffed, picking at my nails.
  "So, you're saying, Sapphira dragged your ass here?''
  He scoffed equally, staring at me, ridiculously.
  I shrugged.
    "Something like that.''
  "You should have just stayed back, then.''
He blew out his breath, impatiently.
    "Excuse me?"

  "At least, I'm not the one who invites someone to watch me play and then come twenty minutes late with that... "
   I trailed off and exhaled, frustrated.
  Who, seriously invites a girl to a game and then comes late to the game just because he was taking his sweet ass time to get thoroughly fucked?
  Yeah, we weren't dating but at least I could get a little respect, seeing as he invited me to the game and all that.
I rolled my eyes, trying to push my thoughts below the surface.

  "So, that's what you're upset about?'' 
   He smirked.
   "I'm more upset I came to this stupid game in the first place!" I snapped.
   He met my gaze calmly, his smirk disappearing.
   "Trust me.'' I huffed.
  "I couldn't care any less.''
  "So, why are you upset, sassy ass?'
  "Back to sassy ass, again?'' I snapped.