Her Toxic Traits

a bright smile spread across the girls face, kat returning the look as their eyes met.

"kat!" she exclaimed, wrapping said girl into a tight hug. it was cold. "you're coming, right?" her eyes narrowed playfully, pouting at her.

kat laughed, "o-of course." she stuttered, playing it off like a voice-crack. "are riley and emma?"

the blonde's eyes darted to the floor and then back up to kat, "yeah, she'll be there." it was no secret this emma had a crush on kat's boyfriend, but still pretended to be friends with her; the intentions of swooping in one day.

kat of course already knew the answer though, "great. i'll see you guys!" she kissed the blondes cheek before walking off to her next class.

"what about lunch?" she heard being called to her. kat turned around and pretended to shoot herself with her fingers as she walked backwards. the blonde understood their signal, knowing that kat had another meeting with her teacher about getting her grades up.

she wasn't failing, but she was barely passing, which colleges don't like—the teachers all told her the same shit. kat didn't exactly care, though. she wasn't going to be using math anyways. her best grade was english, and thats all she needed to write music anyways, she thought.

the day was like any other, with the surprise (or lack therefore of) from her algebra 2 teacher, and she went home like any other day, but after her seventh period this time, because she didn't feel like going to her eighth—after all, she thought, someone has to be the disappointment of the family. she always laughed it out, but it cut deeper than she'd like to admit.

another day, another time she just went to sleep instead of doing something productive. her parents would call her lazy, her hypothetical therapist would call her depressed, but kat would only hear one over the other—along with her parents, who don't believe in mental health.

later that night she debated if she should stay true to her word from the hallway. but who was she kidding, she had appearances to keep up with, it was high school. she dressed as confidently as she could, considering where she was going. which happen to make a weakly appearance in her schedule—sometimes more if there were practices. she dressed in a plain crewneck, putting a black turtleneck under it and then some baggy jeans, which had straight across cuts on each of the thighs. she put her converse back on before grabbing her keys and leaving the room.

"i'm leaving for the game." she called, though she never got a reply. she wasn't even 100% sure she wasn't just speaking to a wall. but she always ignored the fact that her parents cars were parked in the garage, and she'd just pretend like they weren't home and not neglecting her. "see you.." she whispered, though it's not like the tone of voice would make a difference, the reply was always the fucking same; silence. she nodded her head, mumbling a response to herself instead;

"don't stay out too late, there's weirdos and monsters, kat. come home safely. we love you."

but that's where kat gets her toxic traits from.

she drove to the ice rink, the one saved in her google maps, grabbing the gift from her passenger seat before getting out. she walked with her head high following the funnel students into the double glass doors.

no, kat never really went unnoticed, having a lot of friends and living the mean girls dream of being popular—though she wasn't mean to most people. she figured that they wouldn't even remember her in a few years, and vise versa, so what was the point of being rude.