I've Caught You

kat looked into the night sky, it was beautiful. the way the stars created drawing when connected. the way the moon lit everything up just enough to be able to make out basic shapes. the way her chest rose and fell with contempt. the smile on her lips. but especially the boy laying next to her. his arm under her head, bodies touching.

"you know what my name means, kat?" jay whispered, not looking to the girl, but still admiring the picture he had in his head of her—though she was right next to him.

she, however, looked up to him, turning softly to face him. "no." kat replied, honestly.

"star collector."

her smile grew deeper, "you know what my last name means?"

his face turned to look at her, eyes meeting, and his heart started beating quickly. "what?" he asked, genuine curiosity running throughout him.

she smiled to herself, looking out at the night sky, "star." she pinpointed where the big dipper was, using it as a guide to other constellations.

jay pulled her to face him, both of them on their sides, once again. "i've caught you."

she liked that. "that's cheesy."

he laughed softly, like he'd wake someone. "i think it's a little fateful, don't you?" he asked. jay was hopeful she felt the same, wanting validation in the way he felt. admitting it to her.

"yeah," but kat didn't believe much in fate. she just knew that if it was meant to be, it would. "i guess, it is." but there was a saying about stars aligning.

kat's fought with herself nightly, about whether this whole thing was too good to be true, however she truly didn't want that to be the case. but everything fell too perfectly into the puzzle. like a part of her was missing until she found him.

soulmates was a concept kat never understood, and frankly didn't want to. but it caught her off guard every so often when she'd see the way he looked at her, or feel how comfortable it was now. the grooves on their hands even matched, for god's sake.

she didn't want it to end. but she can't obsess over something she can't control—that's what she has to remember.

love will prevail if it's meant to be.

she's felt that way before, though, and that ended. but, in honesty, this time around was different. she truly cared.

she just prayed it was meant to be. for her sake. and for his. she never wanted to be the reason for his heart breaking, because she knew what that was like. she wants to hold him and make it better all the time. she wants to tell him it will be okay when it does inevitably happen. she just wants to be his safety net. and she believed he was willing to do the same for her.

she was ready to dive head first, even if the water was shallow.

she loved him.