Not Just Mars

another day, another night. well, that's not how the saying goes really, but that's how kat's goes. she didn't like leaving things half finished, and that's just something she would've done if she hadn't stayed extra. it wasn't even a new things, she's done it before; many times.

it seemed like everyone had left. she left them in their studio hoping they would leave instead of try to convince to go too. they worked hard, and so did she, they just thought about their health better than kat would ever; and since she wasn't technically forced to go home, she wouldn't. She's stubborn, what can she say, besides not admit to herself that sleep wasn't something she enjoyed anymore than eating was.

so to occupy her ever-growing time, she wrote. that's something she's done since she was a child, and something she would probably continue to do until her hands fell off. It's what made her the happiest—that's something she would admit.

and at the end of the day, that's something that couldn't leave her.

kat's always been cautious about opening her arms as well as her heart to people. she's feared over most, being left behind. much like when she was a child, never being gifted, and hiding behind her sibling. she never blamed her though; mars, for being the favorite, for being perfect. and she's long gotten over being envious of her. especially when mars is the only person who's never left her behind. they had a dysfunctional family, it's true, but it seemed that her parents got one thing right—at least, that's what kat always assumed.

"kat?" a familiar voice filled the silent air, "you're still here?" it was jay, and he knew the answer, obviously seeing the brunette with his own two eyes.

kat spun around, smiling slightly. she noticed a plastic bag in his hand, along with a regular bag he took to practice. "it looks like you knew I would be." and it's true; the way he went to this specific room without looking in others. he knew where kat would be, and what she would be doing, he knew well.

he entered from the doorway slowly, kat studying his movements like it was an assignment, "well, yeah, i guess i did." she chuckled softly, setting the plastic bag on the table, "i actually bought this for you. i figured you'd probably been in here since you left the practice room." which was around four hours ago, but who was counting anyways.

"oh!" she didn't instantly go for the bag, like he had thought she might, only solidifying what he was thinking. "t-thank you, jay." she really didn't feel like indulging, especially not in her current mindset. so before he got the chance to try and make her, she questioned him, "what about you? have you eaten?"

he sat in the chair next to her, opening the bag and scattering the things he got onto the table, "i got enough for us both, so before you try to make me eat yours instead,"

"jay, i—"

"kat, i've noticed," he took a moment, pondering his words, "you go into this funk where you don't eat, and you don't sleep, and you barely smile—" kat turned away at his words. no one (besides her sister) has ever noticed before so it took her off-guard. '—i'm sorry, i didn't mean to upset you."

she turned back, her lip between her teeth anxiously, "no, you didn't. it takes a little more to upset me, i-i just didn't think someone besides mars had noticed."

"well, i did." there they were again, the stupid butterflies; for both of them. the crushing feeling as they just sat silently for a moment, jay going against everything he wanted and breaking the comfortable staring, "i just want you to be healthy."

"right," kat stated like it bruised her pride, wondering if that was all he meant. "thank you." he smiled, opening both his and her container, sliding it closer to the girl. she couldn't help but smile back at him, accepting his offer.

he ate quickly, as kat took her time; she's always eaten slowly, especially when she didn't exactly want to be eating. from time to time he'd look at his phone, as kat wrote down meaningless sentences in her notebook, just wanting to finish something—she'd been frustrated, mostly because since 'fever' she hasn't been able to get anything done—and it wasn't only kat who noticed, mars and jay had also been noticing her tension as of recently.

he left her alone for the most part, knowing that just her presence was enough for him to be satisfied; creating small conversations every so often just to hear her voice, and to distract her for a moment. she appreciated the sentiment, and his being was just enough, as well as his meaningless conversations, to comfort her.

he'd been silent for a while, kat only glancing over when she heard light breathing and small snores. she smiled realizing that he'd fallen asleep in the chair. his hood covered most of his face, but she could tell he looked peaceful. her lip went out, exactly like how'd you'd look at something cute. she gathered her stuff, closing the notebook and shoving it, along with her sitting utensils and such, into her backpack. she tidied the containers they left, throwing it away in the trashcan near the door.

her hand reached to the boy, removing his hood by shoving her fingers lightly through his hair. "jay?" kat whispered, "it's time to go home." he hummed at the girl, the sleep leaving him slowly—and it only made it more difficult because what she was doing was calming.

it took only a moment for him to realize what she was doing, and his face heated up. kat noticed but kept quiet. "o-okay. sorry for falling asleep." he shyed, away earning a light laugh.

she furrowed her eyebrows at him as he grabbed his own bag, "don't apologize."

"oh, okay." he huffed out, watching as she took the lead out the door. "goodnight, kat."

she smiled back to him, "i'll see you tomorrow, jay."

"