My Drama-Queen

"don't look at me like that."

kat had been watching as jay practiced their newest dance; the dance she had co-written the song for. she felt comfort from the music playing in the background and the small smile that would form on jay's face when he'd slip up practicing his expressions—catching a glimpse of her through the mirror lined walls.

"like what?"

"like that!"

in honesty he didn't know how to describe the way she was looking at him, but it was making him nervous—his heart would flutter when their eyes met, and it felt like he was going into cardiac arrest—but in a good way. it was contradicting, because he didn't actually want her to stop looking.

however kat knew exactly how she was looking at him; adoration straining her features. she tried to play it off, but in reality, if jay looked hard enough—which he was—she wasn't hard to see through, not even a little. her cheeks were tinted pink, but the mask would cover it for the most part, (only pulling it down when she'd take a drink from the bottle next to her).

kat adjusted the way she was sitting, crisscrossing her legs, instead of their current, bent-knee, position. she found it to be obviously more comfortable, as she didn't imagine jay stopping his dancing anytime soon. that was one thing she learned about him, he was consistent in the fact that he wanted no flaws; dancing, singing, looks, generality—he loved being in control of how people perceived him.

but he was losing that control around the brunette.

kat giggled, "yeah, whatever drama queen," he scoffed, folding his arms over his chest, "i'll close my eyes then." and kat did.

jay wouldn't admit if she asked him, but he stared for a little longer than he expected, watching her every movement like a creep would—except it wasn't weird; it was adoration and admiration.

kat brought her hand up to cover her eyes, the fingers splitting apart so she could peak through, only slightly, like she was watching a horror movie again.

"hey!" jay laughed, causing her to shut her fingers quickly and act like nothing had happened. "you looked!"

the brunette shook her head lightly, pretending like she also couldn't hear him. "i-i can't see you, you can't see me." she remarked, sounding not convincing at all. "it's how this works." jay scoffed once again, going over to the computer to reload the song, "now get back to dancing!" he heard her say, earning a non-visual eye roll. "i'm pretty sure i saw a mistake in the chorus!"

jay's eyes widened, a slight smirk lacing his lips. "oh, yeah?" she hummed in response as he walked over quietly, taking her hand from her eyes, "then show me how it's done." kat refused to open them, despite her desire to, in fear that it would be too overwhelming to see him this close; her face would be tattooed pink.

eventually she worked up enough courage to side-eye him, her wrist still firmly between his palm and fingers—though it wasn't painful at all.

"fine."

he didn't know what he was expecting, but they were both stubborn. kat got up, jay helping her with the hand he already was holding. she huffed quietly, waving for him to start the music.

kat should've known the dance from the amount of time she spent watching him, but that would be a lie if she said she was solely focusing on that. she only knew the key point of the chorus—which she thought was way sexier when he'd do it, but she still laughed at herself as she tried to match his energy.

his lip retracted trying to stop a smile from bursting at the seams. but that failed as she went on as best she could. it was killing him, his heartbeat running at a tremendously quick pace. his breath slowly started to shallow, but he would push it down, huffing out a laugh as a cover. kat stopped once she heard it, her lips forming a pout under the mask, but he could tell. she crossed her arms in a protest, as the music kept going,

"kat," jay whined, "keep dancing."

"no." she pointed her nose up, "you laughed at me."

he looked at her like a ticking time bomb, waiting for her eyes to open and forgive him.

"i'm sorry." he put his hands together, kat splitting her eye open, "i didn't mean it like that, it was cute."

her eyebrows rose at the words, "what was that?" she playfully nudged, "say it again and i'll forgive you."

jay's eyes widened and then he shyed away, "say what?"

"i'm cute."

his breath hitched, "y-you're cute, kat."

"oh em gee!" she overreacted completely, maybe to shade over that fact that this was the first time he's said something like that to her, despite wanting to constantly. "the park jongseong called me cute!" her mouth fell open furthering the act, "what would engine think." but he frankly didn't care what they would think because it was true.

after a few seconds, kat fell silent taking her hands between herself, "you're okay too, i guess." she rolled her eyes.

"yeah?"

"maybe a little more than okay." she emphasized little more with her fingers, "but only like this much!" she lied; he was much more than she was admitting.

the little gesture to return the complement was comforting to jay, who was slowly gaining confidence again.

"i'll teach you."'

"oh no." she sighed, "'cause it went so fucking well last time."

jay laughed, "well maybe if you weren't clumsy."

kat placed her hand over her heart before deadpanning at the boy, "do you want to die?"

"you're cute?"

kat burst into a smile, rolling her eyes, "fine."

jay was happy he found something that could get her to smile, he liked when she would (even if he couldn't see it at this moment).

he clapped his hands enthusiastically, ready to teach the girl whatever she wanted—even if it wasn't helping him in the end; but he had practice with the guys tomorrow anyways. jay was just happy to spend whatever time he had with kat, and so was she vice-versa.

 jay was just happy to spend whatever time he had with kat, and so was she vice-versa