Chapter 1

I woke up Tuesday, February 3rd, like any other day. I made myself a cup of coffee and decided I would drink it on the back patio and watch the snowfall.

Sure, a normal woman wakes up and gets ready for work or prepares to clean up their home while their husband goes to work. My life however, is a bit different.

My father, Phil Coulson was a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent who was killed while on a mission. After his death my mother joined S.H.I.E.L.D. In order to protect me she dropped all contact with me to ensure that S.H.I.E.L.D. does not know I exist. Or that I know any of their secrets. My only job is to lie low and stay off their radar as much as possible.

My name being Rebecca Coulson is enough to raise suspicion so I don't have a lot of friends or a job. I get a lot of alone time in my home.

My current home belonged to my mother and father. He stored many S.H.I.E.L.D secrets here without their knowledge. This house was completely off their radar because it belonged to my mom when they met. Living in some small town in upstate New York is boring. Sometimes I consider leaving but deep down I know I can't.

When they discovered Hydra within S.H.I.E.L.D. it was too late to protect the agents whose goal was to tear down Hydra. Because of my father's role, if I am discovered Hydra will come for me.

I go out in public and I speak to one friend but I never tell anyone my real name. To most I am an orphan by the name of Cassandra Sampson. The one friend I mentioned is named Macy. She does not have much of a family either so it's something we can bond over. If she knew the story behind my family she would probably keep her distance. I don't blame her. But that's why she'll never know.

Some may think, what kind of life could I possibly have here. The truth is not much of one. I haven't talked to my mom since my dad died last year and I don't have anyone I can be completely open with. I've considered taking my own life. Every time I've thought about it I always come out thinking I'm meant for something more.

I take a seat on the patio and take a look across my back yard. The snow has piled up to the point that I can hardly see my pool ladder anymore. I glance toward the garage and notice a set of foot steps imprinted in the snow. They're almost completely covered but still recognizable.

I grab a double barrel shotgun in one of the hidden compartments on the patio. I slide on the tallest pair of boots I own and step out into the cold. I slide the safety to off as I make my way to the garage. I quickly kick the door open and move both my eyes and my gun around the room in search of any movement.

My eyes land on a man sitting in the corner of the garage with wide eyes staring back at me. He has long dark black hair with light blue eyes. From what I can tell his build is very muscular.  I aim the gun at him instantly. "Who are you?" I demand.

His breathing is heavy. I can practically feel his nervousness as he opens his mouth to speak. "I'm Bucky." He holds his hands up in the air. "Please don't tell anyone I'm here. I'll leave and we can act like this didn't happen." He pleas.

"What do you want with me?" I ask still not moving my gun.

"I don't. I mean I just... It's cold and I needed a place to rest." He stutters.

"Who are you working with? S.H.I.E.L.D?" I press further.

"What? No. They're the ones trying to kill me. How do you know about S.H.I.E.L.D?" He says confused.

I lower my gun and flip the safety back to the on position. "Why are they after you?" I ignore his question.

"I don't know." He lowers his hands and rests them back on his legs.

"Do you have somewhere to stay?" I ask.

"No." He sighs.

"Don't make me regret this." I shake my head. "Come inside. I'll get you some breakfast and we can talk more."

He lifts his hood over his head and follows me back out of the garage. I notice he's stepping in my exact footsteps so I find myself looking at his feet. The shoes he's wearing are extremely warn. His pants aren't in much better condition. The jacket he seems to be hiding in looks brand new but dirty at the same time.

I push the patio door open and begin to take my shoes off to give him a moment to enter. He watches me closely and takes his shoes off too. I lead us through the sliding glass door into my kitchen in complete silence. When he enters he takes his hood off and I immediately notice that his hair is not black. It's dark brown and very dirty. His face has brown smudges all over it and above his right eye looks like dried blood.

He clears his throat and begins to speak. "You don't have to invite me to stay for a meal. I really should get going."

"Don't be ridiculous you look like a mess. I'll get you some fresh clothes and wash yours for you and you can take a shower." I suggest.

He tenses. "No I shouldn't."

"You won't get anywhere safe. The snow is still coming down hard and I doubt we'll see a plow for another week. I'm not going to kill you." I laugh.

He shakes his head. "You invite a strange dirty man into your home and you think I'm the one at risk to be murdered?"

"Well you don't know me so maybe?" I suggest.

He shakes his head and smirks. "What's your name?"

"Cassandra. You can call me Cass or Cassie." I tell him. "Seeing as we're going to be roommates for a few days."

Without giving him a chance to respond I make my way to my bedroom to find some gender neutral clothing that wouldn't look too bad on him. I hear him slowly walk down the hallway and stop in front of my door. I hand him a pile of clothes I gathered and directed him to the bathroom.