Chapter 38

May decided to invite PJ to dinner. I could tell he wanted to say no but she insisted. I wanted to discuss this trouble with Peter when we got back but that's going to have to wait.

We both sat in the back seat as far as we could get from each other. Why was his immediate reaction to use the webs? If he just let the stupid bin fall I never would've known anything and I could work on rebuilding myself. I know this is going to become an issue for me and that makes me angry. I just want to have one normal day. Is that really too much to ask?

We stop at Peter's school to pick him up and he immediately hops in the front seat with a huge smile. "What's up PJ?" He says as they start a friendly handshake. Does Peter know about the webs? Did Peter give them to him? Why would he do that?

"So you finally asked out the girl huh?" PJ asks him suggestively.

"I did. And things are going really well." Peter boasts. "Oh and Aunt May?" He turns his attention to her. "I told Ned he could come for dinner too."

As if on cue my door swings open. I slide over to let Peter's friend in to my own disgust. I'm far to close to PJ for my likings but I'm also far too close to this Ned kid. "Hey Mrs. Parker!" He says friendly.

"Long time no see Ned." She smiles.

"That's because your boy here just wants to be around MJ all the time." Ned teases him.

"Why didn't you invite her? We would've loved to meet the girl you don't shut up about." May asks.

"Because we're not really meet the family serious yet." Peter says shyly.

"You must be Rebecca. I'm Ned." The kid holds out his hand.

"Nice to meet you Ned." I shake his hand.

"Hey PJ." Ned greets the man.

"How's it going?" PJ says casually.

Within minutes we arrive at the apartment building and I cannot get out of the car fast enough. Something about this PJ guy bothers me.

I position myself so that Peter is standing between PJ and I. Everyone else participates in small talk as we make our way up the three flights of stairs to the apartment. Once inside May excused herself to the kitchen.

I follow Peter, Ned, and to my own disgust PJ to Peter's bedroom. Once inside Peter sits on the edge of his bed, Ned takes the desk chair, and PJ decides to make himself at home and lay on my air mattress. Disgusting. I awkwardly sit on Peter's bed, leaving space between us.

"Hey Becca, PJ here is twenty-one. You guys could be friends." Peter tells me.

"Fantastic." I try to hide the sarcasm but I ultimately fail.

"I slipped up." PJ says to Peter. "Caught a falling bin in front of this one." He motions toward me.

Peter turns to me with a smile. "I guess you know our secret then."

"You know about this?" I ask quickly.

Peter shakes his head. "PJ was like my mentor when it came to the Spider-Man stuff. He's from another universe and despite all efforts we can't figure out how he got here or how to get him back home." Peter tells me.

"Wait so there's two Spider-Men?" I ask.

"Yes and no." PJ speaks. "I haven't done any Spider-Man stuff since coming here but I do have the same powers." He tells me. "Sorry for freaking you out earlier." He apologizes.

"Does May know?" I ask.

They both shake their heads. "May doesn't even know my real name is Peter Parker. Hence the whole PJ thing." He tells me.

"Do you miss your world?" I ask out of curiosity.

He shrugs. "Not really. I lost someone there and going back wouldn't feel right." His voice cracks. "Plus I've been here since I was seventeen and I've grown to love this world."

I decide not to pester him further right now despite the curiosity pouring through me. Peter and Ned have broken off into their own conversation so I decide not to pry there either.

"What's your story?" PJ asks.

"I don't really have one." I respond.

"Well how did you end up here?" He asks.

"Avengers things." I say vaguely.

He nods and turns his attention to Peter and Ned, finally picking up that I didn't want to talk about it.

"You'll come with Becca and I tomorrow won't you?" I hear Peter say.

"Sure. If that's okay with you?" PJ says to me.

"Yeah that's fine." I respond quickly to keep Peter happy. I don't think Peter needs an entire store full of people to pick out a suit but whatever.

I move over to my bag and pull out my hair brush before leaving the room. That's far too much teenage boy for my likings.

I take my time in the bathroom to use the toilet and slide the brush through my hair. Instead of going back into that room I decide to join May in the kitchen.

"Need any help?" I ask.

"I'm nearly done." She smiles and motions for me to take a seat at the table. "I figured you and PJ would be friends. After all he ended up at the shelter for a similar reason you're here." She says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"He had a girlfriend who was killed. Poor kid's never gotten over it. I figured seeming how you were around the same age you'd find comfort in your shared sadness." She says. "I'm not playing matchmaker or anything but I thought you could use a friend your own age."

"He's nice." I nod along with her. Now that I know he's not stealing from Peter or trying to replace him I'd have to say he's okay. I'm not really in the mood for male company but if he's also held up on an ex then maybe we could be friends?

I couldn't see myself being friends with the awkward kid that's not even from here. I've had enough with complicated people. If I wanted friends like this I would've stayed at the compound.

I'll be civil for May and Peter's sakes but I won't be sitting up late texting PJ about my deepest thoughts that's for sure. I need to focus on myself and no one else for once in my life.