Chapter 42

As I regain consciousness I allow my eyes to open. I focus my eyes straight ahead and see Cap's shield. I groan out loud, throwing my hand over my head. This headache could potentially kill me.

"Morning." A voice speaks from across the room.

I immediately recognize it as Steve's, confirming my suspicion that I am in fact laying in his bed. "Steve if you tell me that we slept together last night I swear I'll kill myself." I say rudely.

He lets out a small laugh. "That's awfully harsh. But to answer your question no we did not sleep together."

"I don't know if you're lying or not but for my own sanity I'm going to choose to believe you." I throw my other arm over my head to block the rest of my face.

"Rebecca you got so drunk you tried steal Tony's phone to demand speaking to Bucky so you could yell at him." He laughs. "When you ultimately failed Tony told me to lock you in your room."

I sigh. "That does not explain how I ended up here."

"You jumped out the window, determined to walk to Wakanda. After catching you running through the lawn I brought you in here so I could keep an eye on you." He explains.

I sit up and finally look at him. He's sitting on a couch along the right wall with a small blanket draped over the rest of the couch. "Never let me drink again." I instruct. He nods but I continue speaking. "How badly did I embarrass myself? And don't sugar coat it, give it to me straight."

A smile takes over his face. "I don't think anyone here will ever look at you the same."

I bring my hand up to smack myself in the forehead. "Kill me." I plea.

"I promised Bucky I wouldn't do that. Plus we've got a criminal to catch." He pats my shin as he begins to leave the room.

I throw myself backward, pulling the blanket over my head as I do so. I will not be leaving this room until they are gone. Tony wouldn't want me to go along anyway. Not to mention Steve wouldn't risk me getting killed and facing Bucky afterward. Not that Bucky will ever admit he cares.

My phone begins to ring from beside me. I answer it without looking, afraid the bright screen will only amplify my headache. "Hello?" I groan.

"Hey Becca! Just calling to check in on you, Peter mentioned that you didn't go back to his place last night." PJ's voice chimes over the phone.

"Yeah people want me dead it's nothing new." I tell him.

"Where are you right now?" He asks.

"Currently laying in Captain America's bed debating if I should face everyone ever again." I say honestly.

"Oh. So you and cap are?" He waits for me to finish the sentence.

"God no. I got stupidly drunk last night and someone had to stop me from trying to swim across the ocean to yell at Bucky." The honesty I have right now is alarming. Then again it's just PJ.

He lets out a small laugh. "Do you want to go for a coffee?" He suggests.

"Did you miss the part about never facing another person again?" I counter.

"You should go." Vision appears next to me. I let out a scream from being caught off guard.

"Becca?" PJ's voice sounds panicked.

"Sorry." I apologize for screaming in his ear. "Vision just showed up and was apparently eavesdropping." I scold Vision.

I hear the smile in his voice as he speaks again. "So, coffee? I promise it'll cure your hangover."

"I don't know PJ. I think wallowing in my self pity seems to be my go to hangover cure." I decline.

"Fair enough. Maybe next time." He says optimistically.

"Maybe." I respond only because I know he'll hang up.

"I'll talk to you later." He says before ending the call.

When I open my eyes again Vision is still standing there staring at me. "Vision I am not in the mood." I scoff.

"I come with breakfast." He sets a tray at the end of the bed. "I also have this." He sets two Advil on the tray.

"Thanks." I take the pills.

He leaves the room by phasing through the wall as opposed to using the door. I take a moment to examine the tray. It has eggs, bacon, and toast, along with two glasses, one of orange juice and the other milk.

I grab a piece of toast and bring it to my mouth. It has the perfect amount of butter spread across it so I savor every bite. Next I move onto the eggs. They're average eggs but still a nice thought. I'm not sure who cooked for me but I definitely appreciate it.

I've learned that sitting in one of these extravagant bedrooms is surprisingly depressing. After I've finished my breakfast I decide to venture out into the rest of the building.

Upon entry into the main room that I've frequently visited I find Peter and Wanda. "Look who's come back from the dead." Peter teases.

"I don't want to hear a word about last night." I make my way back to the cupboard and pour myself another shot. I drink it quickly and set the glass in the sink. The familiar burn comforts my growing anxiety. I find myself yearning for another shot but I decide against it with Peter and Wanda present.

"What do you guys do around here when everyone else is out on a mission?" I ask.

"We can go down to the game room." Peter suggests. "Wanda won't play me in air hockey anymore so I could use the competition."

"When you can shut your spider sense off I'll play you again." Wanda rolls her eyes.

"Wanda you can read my mind." Peter says.

"That would be useful if you planned your shots. You just wing it every time." She stands from the couch they were sitting on.

"How long have you guys known each other?" I ask out of curiosity.

"Too long." Wanda pours herself a shot and hands me one with a small smile.

The burning sensation in my throat never seems to last long enough. "Where's mine?" Peter says innocently.

"You can have one when you are old enough to buy one." She remarks.

"That's not fair. Becca isn't even twenty-one yet." He counters.

Wanda looks at me and shrugs. "She's close enough."

I'm only four months from my twenty-first birthday and these last couple weeks have been enough to make me feel much older. Realistically I should not be craving the liquor like I because as I'm too young to drink. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't hear the bottle calling my name from behind the cupboard door.

"I put your bag in your room." Peter changes the subject.

"Thank you." I smile. "I hope May wasn't upset with me leaving without notice."

"She's fine as long as you come visit from time to time." He smiles. "So, which one of you are going to go against me in pool?"